10 Things Potential New Members Should Remember For Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every year thousands of hopeful college women around the country decide to go through sorority recruitment. If you are one of those thousands who agree that great women go Greek, then here are some tips for finding your home.

1. Wear Comfortable Shoes

I cannot stress this enough. You will be on your feet for five to ten hours a day and you do not want to be limping from one room to the next. It is better to wear flats you can walk in than heels you can’t.

2. Keep an Open Mind

Even though your brother’s girlfriend was a Gamma Chi (a sorority I literally just made up) doesn’t mean you’re meant to be a Gamma Chi. If you become obsessed with one chapter, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you don’t end up there. Likewise, maybe you’ve never heard of Tau Kappa Nu (again I’m literally just pulling random Greek letters out of nowhere) — doesn’t mean they aren’t an amazing group of women who you would be thrilled to have as sisters.

3. Bring Snacks

The days are long and you might not always have time to get food between parties. Even when you do have a break, trying to wait behind literally hundreds of girls at Starbucks or Sweet Green is no fun. Remember that BU’s recruitment is nut-free this year. Stick with something that will satisfy your hunger, but will not give another girl an allergic reaction.

4. Bring Homework

We’re in the middle of the semester, midterms are around the corner, and you’re about to become pretty busy getting to know your new sisters. Now is not the time to fall behind on schoolwork. You will have breaks between parties and I would encourage you to use those breaks to keep up with your work. Just remember there’s no WiFi in the room so download anything you need beforehand.

5. Avoid the 5 Bs

Booze, Bible, Bills, Boys, Ballots. You want to keep these out of your recruitment conversations. This doesn’t mean you can’t mention your killer internship with a local senator or birthright trip to Israel, but don’t ask a sister what she thinks of Trump or if she has a boyfriend. Certainly do not ask how often sororities party or what frats they mix with. Instead talk about your major, your favorite show on Netflix, your love of bread or how great FYSOP was.  

6. Follow the Dress Guide

You don’t want to be completely over dressed or under dressed for any day, so be sure to pay attention to the guidelines the Panhellenic Council has provided. You can check out this Pinterest board for inspiration: https://www.pinterest.com/panhelbu/

To quote one of my Pi Chis from last year, “Preference night is not a rose ceremony on The Bachelor”.  No need to break out your senior prom dress.

7. Trust your Pi Chis

Or Rho Chis, or Rho Gammas, or whatever your school calls the fantastic women who lead you through recruitment. They have gone through recruitment at least twice, (once as a PNM and once as a sister) so your Pi Chi is a recruitment expert at this point. Do not be afraid to ask her for advice and speak candidly.

8. Bring Whatever Make-Up You’re Wearing

You might look #flawless for party 1, but after a few hours of small talk and sweating you’ll be glad you have some extra concealer and lipstick to remain looking and feeling your best.  

9. Don’t Change Your Mind on a Chapter Based on What Other People Say

If you loved Tau Kappa Nu, don’t let someone in your recruitment group change your mind because she didn’t like them. You are two completely different people and what’s best for her might not be what’s best for you. If you weren’t feeling it with Gamma Chi on preference night, don’t try to force it because you heard they have a good reputation.

10. Be yourself

I cannot stress this enough. Be your best self, but be yourself. The last thing you want is to choose a chapter based on the person you were trying to be during recruitment. These letters are for a lifetime, and you want the women who you can see with you for your entire life.

Remember these 10 tips, and don’t be afraid to reach out to your Pi Chis with any more questions. Recruitment is stressful but nothing beats the feeling of running to your new chapter on bid night (except maybe getting your big a few weeks later).

Sophie is a junior at Boston University studying Psychology and Education. When she isn't memorizing parts of the brain or writing papers on the philosophies of teaching, she likes to dance, shop, and obsess over her pet rabbit.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.