10 Little Ways to Embrace Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Self-care is so essential, especially with the hectic and stressful daily lives of college students. So, here are ten little things you can do for yourself when you are stressed, tired, or just having one of those down in the dumps weeks.

1. Get a coffee or smoothie in the morning.

Nobody likes waking up for those early morning classes, especially if you spent the night before cramming for an exam. So, wake up just a few minutes early and run over to one of the many coffee or smoothie places on campus! It’s a little pick-me-up that you will thank yourself for all day.

2. Read a book

It doesn’t matter if you re-read that one book you loved so much, or find a new book to obsess over. Reading is such a good way to declutter your mind and focus on something other than your stressors. Try reading a paperback book rather than an online version as it’s much easier on your eyes!

3. Splurge on some nice workout clothes

Do you sometimes find it hard to gather up the motivation to hit the gym? Well, imagine how excited you would be to go if you had a nice new pair of sneakers, or some adorable workout tanks and shorts. Buy some new clothes, and then get some use out of them!

4. Exercise. 

Now that you look your best, go to the gym so you feel your best! Taking an hour out of your day to exercise is one of the best ways to relieve stress and stay healthy. Even if you can’t spare an hour, take as much time as you have to go for a walk, a jog, or workout right in your dorm room. You’ll never regret a good workout.

5. Call your mom

It may sound obvious, but sometimes all you need to pick yourself up is to talk with some familiar people from home. Whether it’s a parent, grandparent, or friend, catching up with the people you love will always be good for the soul. Chat about your day, or dive into some deeper topics if you’re having a hard time. After all, nobody knows how to solve a problem better than moms.

6. FaceTime your pet

Okay, let’s be real. Sometimes the thing you miss most isn’t your family (sorry mom). It’s the furry little creature waiting eagerly for you to come back home. Have someone in your family help you get some face to face time with your dog, cat, or other little cutie. Minutes spent with your pet are never wasted minutes.

7. Sleep in

This one can sometimes be a slippery slope, as we all know skipping class is much easier than waking up at 7:15 am to make that morning lecture. While you shouldn’t do this every week, there is nothing wrong with taking a morning off every once in awhile. You know your body, and if it needs more sleep, give it some.

8. Have some cold and flu products always on hand.

While this one may sound strange, it is flu season now. Soon the cold winter will be upon us and everyone will be coughing and sneezing across campus. It is well worth it to spend the money on nice tissues, Tylenol, cough drops, Dayquil/Nyquil, and some Vicks Sinex or another nasal decongestant. You’ll get better faster and have a much less miserable time along the way.

9. Go online shopping

If you’ve been eyeing something for so long now but you never get around to buying it, now is the time. Nothing feels better when you’re upset than splurging for yourself online. It’s okay to spend your hard earned money on yourself every now and again after all.

10. Treat yourself to a treat!

Being healthy is great and all, but after working hard for almost a semester straight, now it is completely okay to indulge in something sweet when you’re in the mood. Reward yourself for being an awesome and hard working person with some ice cream, cupcakes, or whatever goody you’re eyeing in the dining halls. Totally worth it.

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.