Ways to Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

You may be wondering just what, exactly, Galentine’s Day is. Quoting the television character that designed it, Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation, “Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.” Reiterating her point, it’s a day to celebrate your best girlfriends and have a fun day together! It’s right before Valentine’s Day, but with all the fun, and none of the stress. As a student at a women’s college, you learn just how important and powerful your female friends are. Here are some ways to celebrate your own this Galentine’s Day!

1: Catch a Movie

There are so many great movies out right now, with the Oscars coming up. Keeping with the feminist theme of Galentine’s Day, some great flicks to check out are Hidden Figures and La La Land. Both feature strong female characters who are following their dreams, whether that’s getting a man into space or landing the lead role in the next blockbuster! The Space Between Us, an adorable romance about a boy coming from Mars to meet his online love, and Fifty Shades Darker, the sequel to Fifty Shades, are also good picks if you and your friends are looking for more romantic movies to see.

2: Host a Spa Day

There’s nothing more fun than hosting a spa day with your best friends! Gather everyone up and break out the best spa treatments. You can make your own, using ingredients from your kitchen, like coconut oil for your hair, or hit up some stores and buy some. My favorite store for spa treatments is Lush; they have so many amazing products, like bath bombs, face masks, and hair treatments. Even better, they have their own line of Valentine’s Day products that are just as well suited for Galentine’s Day! Check out their Unicorn Horn bubble bar, which you crumble under warm water in a running bath, their adorably heart shaped Strawberry Fields Forever massage bar (a personal favorite) that acts as a lotion, and their whole range of face masks. Your friends can all pick a great face mask that can cure any skin problem, from dullness to breakouts. Plus, it’ll be so much fun to take selfies and laugh at your bright blue (or brown or green) skin!

3: Netflix Binge

Netflix is always the answer, especially when it comes to how to celebrate Galentine’s Day! There’s so many great options to watch with your girlfriends. If you all want a bit of romance for your celebration, work your way through some classic rom-coms, like Love Actually, Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, and Step Up. If television shows are more your group’s style, binge watch your way through Grey’s Anatomy, Jane The Virgin, Gilmore Girls, and Parks and Recreation, featuring Galentine’s Day founder Leslie Knope! Whichever route you and your friends take, Netflix is a great boost to your Galentine’s Day celebration.

4: Baking And Breakfast Food

Leslie Knope once said, “We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, work. But work has to come third.” Galentine’s Day is one day where that quote is immensely important, and what better way to honor it by cooking up some waffles for your celebration? Whether you all go out to eat some breakfast food, or bake your own Galentine’s Day cookies, baking and breakfast food go with Galentine’s Day like peanut butter and jelly.

5: DIY Some Crafts

There’s a Pinterest craft for everything, and Galentine’s Day is no exception. Surf the popular website and discover some fun themed crafts you and your girlfriends can create. It doesn’t matter if you’re Martha Stewart or can’t even cut a straight line with scissors; there’s something for everyone! I’m personally a fan of the simple paper hearts craft, but there are so many other great options as well.

No matter how you and your girlfriends decide to celebrate, what’s most important is that you spend time together and affirm how much you mean to each other. Leslie Knope would approve! Happy Galentine’s Day, girls!

Works Cited

“Google Images.” Google Images. N.p., n.d. Web.

Samantha is a sophomore at Bryn Mawr College majoring in English. She's originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and can confirm that the winters are just as cold as you've heard. She's passionate about books, writing, girls' education, and Harry Styles. If she's not in class, you can find her studying in the library, grabbing brunch with her friends, or taking a yoga class. If you want to read Samantha's past work, you can find it on the Her Campus Bryn Mawr section.