The Top 3 Most Anticipated Netflix Shows for 2017-2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

As every college student knows, one of the best ways to relax and procrastinate is by binge watching something on Netflix. With so many amazing shows on there, it’s difficult to choose what to watch next. However, within the next year, some favorites will finally get their newest season uploaded to the streaming service. Here are just three of the great TV shows that will soon have new seasons available on Netflix!

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Stranger Things Season 2: Premieres on October 27th, 2017.

Summer 2017’s most binge-watched show, the Netflix original Stranger Things focuses on four young kids named Mike, Dustin, Eleven and Lucas. They’re attempting to discover the whereabouts of their friend, Will, who’s gone missing. Making things even stranger for them, it turns out that Will has been sucked into the Upside Down, a parallel universe that their friend Eleven is also from and can access. While the children are searching for Will, so are a plethora of other characters with their own storylines; Will’s mom, Joyce, gets tangled up in the situation, and Will’s brother, Jonathan, finds himself tangled up with Mike’s older sister, Nancy, and her friends while helping everyone search. A perfect mix of drama, comedy and suspenseful horror, Stranger Things is an amazing one to watch. Millie Bobby Brown, the thirteen year old actress who plays Eleven, was even nominated for an Emmy. Definitely catch up on this show if you haven’t seen it to prep for Season 2!

The Crown Season 2: Premieres December 8th, 2017.

Another Netflix original, The Crown centers on Queen Elizabeth II from the 1940’s until present time. Forced to take the English throne at the young age of 25, the show chronicles her triumphs and tribulations in her newfound role. Dealing with political and personal matters, the first season takes us through the first decade of her reign, from the 1940’s to the 1950’s. One of the most expensive Netflix shows to make, costing over a hundred million dollars, The Crown is also one of the most engrossing. Claire Foy plays the Queen with stunning accuracy, and since the role of Queen Elizabeth II will be recast as the Queen ages in the show, Season 2 will be her last. It’ll be riveting to watch the Claire play the Queen, navigating her increasingly difficult involvements, political and personal alike, in the next season.

Thirteen Reasons Why Season 2: Premieres 2018.

One of the most controversial Netflix originals, and perhaps television shows in general, to be created is Thirteen Reasons Why. Based on the bestselling novel by Jay Asher, it centers around a teenage girl named Hannah Baker, who shockingly took her own life. Instead of leaving a note, Hannah recorded thirteen tapes, each one about a specific person that she claimed had a part in her decision. The first person gets the tapes and listens to them all and is then supposed to past them on to the person whose name is on the tape after theirs. This cycle is supposed to continue until all thirteen people have listened to the tape. If the cycle is broken, disasterly consequences may arise. A interlocking web of characters are involved, both with Hannah directly and with each other. Tackling essential to discuss topics like suicide, sexual assault, bullying and mental health, Thirteen Reasons Why is psychologically demanding to watch, yet very engrossing and important. Featuring wonderful performances by Katherine Langford as Hannah and Dylan Minnette as Clay, amidst the rest of the great cast, and produced by Selena Gomez and a host of others, this show is beautifully developed and will follow the same path for its second season. Although it’s a bit of a struggle to watch, if you feel you can handle it, Thirteen Reasons Why is definitely worth the binge.

Netflix is just one of many streaming services out there and these are a just a few of the plethora of content that will be uploaded in 2017-2018. If you’re looking for an escape from responsibilities for a few hours, catch up on the first seasons of these shows if you haven’t already and get ready for Season 2!    

Samantha is a sophomore at Bryn Mawr College majoring in English. She's originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and can confirm that the winters are just as cold as you've heard. She's passionate about books, writing, girls' education, and Harry Styles. If she's not in class, you can find her studying in the library, grabbing brunch with her friends, or taking a yoga class. If you want to read Samantha's past work, you can find it on the Her Campus Bryn Mawr section.