Meet Rachel Heiser, Academic Support and Learning Resources Specialist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

In school, you can sometimes get so wrapped up in your academic life that you forget to have balance in other aspects of your life and you forget that there’s another world outside of school. I’ve had the pleasure of working with Rachel as a Peer Mentor and as a blogger for Athena’s Guide, both resources to guide students with academics and self-care. She is such a joy, incredibly supportive, a great listener, mindful, approachable and full of enthusiasm for what she does. If you’re looking for support for whatever you’re going through, Rachel is closely involved with student life and there are numerous resources for you to turn to and find your fit.

Photo courtesy of Rachel Heiser

Pronouns: She/Her

Undergrad: James Madison University

Grad: Temple University

Major: Psychology

Minor: Music, Criminal Justice

What’s something people should know about you?

I have been at Bryn Mawr for over 6 years and I LOVE it here!

What’s something people should know about you? (answered by a friend)

“She has traveled to 49 states and rides a motorcycle!”

How did you get from your major/minor in college to the career you have now?

I pursued a lot of internships and research in college to get exposed to the field.  I also volunteered with women’s advocacy organizations and campus groups, which ultimately helped me obtain my Assistantship as the Sexual Assault Counseling Outreach Coordinator with Temple’s Counseling Center.  From there, I realized my love for working with college students, which led me to becoming a college counselor, advisor and now academic support specialist!

What do you do on campus, and what’s your favorite thing about your job?

As the Academic Support and Learning Resources Specialist, I work closely with students, staff and faculty to assist students in reaching their personal definition of academic success and college life balance. My favorite thing about my job is getting to work with Mawrters!

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Bryn Mawr?

My first Flower Day!

What other activities are you involved with on campus? Off campus?

I work with the Self-Care @ BMC and Life After Bryn Mawr committees, teach a Thrive course and supervise the Peer Tutors and Peer Mentors. I also volunteer at the local zoo!

What are some of your hobbies?

I LOVE to travel, immerse myself in other cultures, and experience nature.

Where/what was your favorite travel experience?

I think my favorite travel experience was doing a Cross Country Roadtrip with my partner for 2.5 weeks in June 2014. We went to 21 states, hiked in several national parks and rode mules down the Grand Canyon!

What’s your favorite method of self-care?

Snuggling a kitty, specifically PJ and Mia, my little furballs.

For anyone visiting Bryn Mawr for the first time, what recommendations do you have for them?

Go to the Cloisters – it’s magical!

What are some things you’re up to, and how can we support you?

I’m committed to finding ways to encourage a thriving Bryn Mawr community. The more we can support each other and ourselves, the better!

Thank you for your time Rachel!

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.