This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Mala is a fellow English major and a good friend of mine, so I wanted to feature her on Her Campus’ website! Here’s a little bit about her, in her own words.

Photo courtesy of Mala Sharma

Pronouns: she/her

Major: English

Minor: Visual Studies

Class: 2019

What’s something people should know about you?

I’m a transfer student to Bryn Mawr who also took a leave of absence and I’ve changed my major four times.

Why did you choose Bryn Mawr, and why did you choose to stay?

I chose Bryn Mawr because of the high intensity of their academic programs, especially compared to other schools I’ve attended. I also appreciate the progressive campus culture and sense of integrity and liberalism around students freely seeking out feminist modes of existence. Bryn Mawr students also have the best sense of fashionable self styling.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Bryn Mawr?

I’ll never forget the adrenaline rush of the first time I ever successfully skateboarded down the hill from Pem Arch to Erdman.

What’s your favorite method of self-care?

I often practice Yin yoga and meditate. My favorite kind of self-care involves cleansing my room and putting a face mask and sipping hibiscus rose tea while listening to the 99% Invisible podcast.

What are your favorite spots in Bryn Mawr or Philly?

I confess, I often go to MOM’s Organic Market to buy Pink Lady apples and a box of raspberries and decompress in their apothecary section with a cup of their complimentary coffee. In Philly, I have to keep myself from visiting the Joseph Fox Bookshop unless I can bear to resist buying their shelves of beautifully curated selection of books.

What are some things you’re up to, and how can we support you?

Lately, I’m looking into seeing more ways I can convince the Mainline to be more supportive of cycling as a legitimate form of transportation. At the very least, I wish to see more bicycle parking available. Since cycling is arguably more affordable and sustainable, I hope to see the Mainline be more supportive of students riding their bicycles on Lancaster Ave. I believe cyclists have a right to the road.

Anything else you’d like the Bryn Mawr community to know about you?

I’m currently getting my 300 level advanced training as a yoga teacher with a foundation in the Ashtanga practice. Look out for my Pay-As-You-Wish (cash/venmo) yoga asana classes coming up on campus soon.

Thank you for your time Mala!

Keep up with Mala on Instagram!

Samantha is a sophomore at Bryn Mawr College majoring in English. She's originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and can confirm that the winters are just as cold as you've heard. She's passionate about books, writing, girls' education, and Harry Styles. If she's not in class, you can find her studying in the library, grabbing brunch with her friends, or taking a yoga class. If you want to read Samantha's past work, you can find it on the Her Campus Bryn Mawr section.
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.