Meet Alexandra Acabá Berrocal, Mujeres* President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Meet Alexandra Acabá Berrocal, the President of the Mujeres* club on campus. I chose to interview her because I had a Spanish class with her and she’s really sweet. She also runs one of my top favorite clubs at Bryn Mawr, Mujeres*! We talk about issues of inequality and race, plan events, food demos, lots of good stuff. She’s my fellow Latina and lives in Puerto Rico! Learn more about Alexandra below and what it means for her to have such an important leadership role.

Photo courtesy of Alexandra Acabá Berrocal

Pronouns: She/her

Major: Spanish

Minor: LAILS

Class: 2018

What’s something people should know about you?

That my true passion in life is helping and caring for others, that I’m from San Juan, Puerto Rico and I love my dog Puffy unconditionally!

What’s something people should know about you? -answered by a friend

That she is kind, caring, intelligent, creative and always puts other people’s needs before hers.

Why did you choose Bryn Mawr, and why did you choose to stay?

My mom is a Mawrter (and dark blue as well!) and she had told me great things about Bryn Mawr, but I was very hesitant about attending a women’s college. When I visited the college and had my interview, I fell in love with the school and decided that there was no other place for me.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Bryn Mawr?

I have so many! Some of my best memories involve bonding experiences with my closest friends during traditions like May Day and also during 24-hour Canaday! I also have great memories with professors that I appreciate and look up to as role models.  

What’s your favorite way to relax?

I relax on campus by going to the gym if I’m not too tired, watching Friends on my bed for the 100th time or going to the city to explore.

What got you interested in Mujeres*?

I’ve been a member of Mujeres* since freshman year because I wanted to find a home at Bryn Mawr and find people that I could identify with. Mujeres* has provided me the opportunity to meet great people that share a similar culture to mine, but who are also different in other ways, which expands my knowledge and provides me the opportunity to form connections.

In what ways has Mujeres* helped you?

Mujeres* has helped me thrive academically, culturally and socially as a Latinx on campus. It has also provided me with the support and the motivation to pursue my academic interests, as well as given me the opportunity to make so many fabulous and dear friends!

What are your favorite spots in Bryn Mawr or Philly?

My favorite spot at Bryn Mawr is the Sunken Garden. In Philly, I enjoy visiting the Barnes Foundation and the garden outside the Rodin Museum.

What are some things you’re up to, and how can we support you?

Currently, I’m applying to graduate schools in the Philly area to get a Master’s in Social Work!

Anything else you’d like the Bryn Mawr community to know about you?

I’m a compulsive peanut butter consumer and a chocoholic. I love to paint watercolors, knit and travel. In addition, I have an older brother (who I love dearly) that graduated from Haverford!

Thank you for your time Alexandra!

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.