Destressing in the Midst of Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.
  • Start your day off right with breakfast
    • Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day.  Even if you don’t believe this, if you wake up and head to breakfast, you can casually do homework or study while eating in the calmness of Erdman.  You can get some work done and also fuel up for the day!
  • Talk to your professors
    • Even if your professors can’t give you all the answers, they will be able to help you feel better about the material.  They can give you study advice or talk through any topics with you so you’ll be confident you can get through it!
  • Form a study group with other students in your class
    • You can talk through the topics and “teach” one another so that the material becomes clearer and you can test your knowledge on it.  If you can explain it to someone else, you’ll be more familiar with it!
  • Study with friends
    • We’re all in this together!  Get a group of your friends together so you can all work hard but also support each other in studying.  You can even go to a coffee shop to be in a relaxing atmosphere.  You can take breaks to chat and drink coffee to help ease the stress of the class material.
  • Clean your room
    • If your room is clean, you won’t need to worry about finding that missing textbook under the pile of dirty clothes on your floor.
  • Take study break
  • Go to the gym
    • Releasing endorphins can help to relax and make you feel better.  After exercise, you’ll have a more positive outlook on life and have more self-confidence in doing well.  It doesn’t even need to be intense – just a short bike ride, a few laps in the pool, or yoga will go a long way.  Bring a friend along too to get the emotional support that someone is working through midterms with you!
  • Arts and crafts
    • If you’re someone who gets anxious with the arrival of stress, you can easily pull out some pencil and paper or knitting in order to keep your hands moving but giving your brain a rest.
  • Look at pictures of your family (if you’ll be going home for break)
    • By looking at the people you look forward to seeing, it will help give you the drive to get through the stress and work that stands between you and home.  You can even give them a call to regain your determination and to take a bit of a break.
  • Check out fun articles on HerCampus.com!
    • There are tons of cute and fun articles to help you forget about the stress for a little bit!
Ana Kyrcz

Bryn Mawr

I'm a junior at Bryn Mawr College, majoring in English. I love reading and writing and I play lacrosse here at Bryn Mawr. I love being outside and exploring new places!