This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

I doubt that it will come as a surprise to any of you that our planet is in serious trouble due to the environmental impact our last hundred years or so have had on the climate and the earth’s resources, which is why I want to remind you that our fate as a planet is not hopeless! One of the many ways we have the potential to change the world is by supporting sustainable brands and companies through our power as consumers. So, here is a quick buying guide for leading a more sustainable lifestyle and encouraging others to do the same! 

Next Time You Need Makeup… 

Burt’s Bees 

Not only has this awesome makeup company been certified as a CarbonNeutral Company and adopted a zero-waste philosophy, its many flavors of chapstick smell seriously delicious. Plus, their company transparency is so good that they have a Natural Ingredients Guide! So whether you’re looking for BB cream, blueberry & dark chocolate flavored lip balm, or cranberry and pomegranate sugar scrub, you can buy it guilt-free from Burt’s Bees! 

Cranberry & Pomegranate Sugar Scrub, $13.00 

Juice Beauty  

This company offers a huge range of skincare and makeup products, all of which are made with organic ingredients and are less diluted and harmful than many other beauty products because they dilute with organic botanical juices rather than water or petroleum derivatives.  

Exfoliating Cleanser, $22.00 

Meow Meow Tweet 

First of all, these guys have an adorable cat logo, which should be enough to convince you. If not, it also helps that all of their products are entirely vegan, all-natural, organic and cruelty-free and that their products are all contained in either recycled paper or reusable glass containers, dramatically cutting plastic packaging waste.  

Cocoa Skin Cream, $32.00 

Next Time You Need Clothes…  

The Reformation 

The Reformation is honestly one of the most aesthetic and interesting clothing companies out there, in part due to their highly transparent sustainability practices. When you view an item on their website, you are also able to see the carbon, water, and waste-related impacts and savings that particular item generated. Most of the clothes tend to be on the pricey side, but it’s worth it both to support sustainability and to treat yourself to some truly beautiful basics (or very sexy dress for date night). 

Flint Dress in Cherry, $128 

H&M 

According to their 2015 Sustainability Report, H&M is “one of the world’s biggest users of certified organic cotton” and reduced their emissions by 56% from 2014. They’re also known more generally as an amazing resource for quick, cheap necessities. So the next time you need to hit up Forever 21, try H&M instead and look for their sustainable clothing tags! Online these are indicated with a green square that says “Concious.” 

Quilted Lyocell Bomber Jacket, $79.99 

Ethica 

This online store curates its wares from the work of sustainable designers as has a wide range (in price and style) of fair-trade, sustainable, and vegan goods. From clothing to jewelry to beauty products, Ethica will probably have what you’re looking for.  

Dolores Haze Marsha Skirt, $87.00 

Stay tuned for more news and shopping guides on how to save the world! 

Bryn Mawr 2020!