8 SEPTA Hacks for the Frugal Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

SEPTA tickets aren’t cheap, but if you want to go into the city, it’s the only option for those of us who don’t have cars. Here are a few SEPTA hacks to help you save a few bucks here and there. These tips take into account the new fares that SEPTA implemented this past summer.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

1. Tickets are cheaper at the station than on the train, so I’d recommend buying a bunch from the ticket office in case it isn’t open the next time you plan to go out. Independence Passes cost the same at the station and on the train.

2. 10 trip tickets are cheaper than buying weekday tickets 10 separate times.

3. Night/weekend tickets are cheaper than weekday tickets. However, if you’re buying tickets on the train from Bryn Mawr to Center City, they cost the same. (Again, I highly recommend buying your tickets ahead of time!)

4. Tickets are cheaper from Haverford than Bryn Mawr because that’s where the boundary between zones is. If you’re looking to save a little money, walk or take the Blue Bus to Haverford, then catch the train from there.

5. If you’re planning a round-trip from Bryn Mawr to Center City, it’s cheaper to get an Independence Pass than buy two tickets on the train, whether it’s the weekday or night/weekend. But if you buy two tickets at the station, the individual tickets are the cheaper option. If you’re planning a round-trip from Haverford to Center City, it’s cheaper to buy individual tickets.

6. Tickets are checked at the Center City stations on weekdays 3:00PM-7:00PM, so if you’re hoping to sneak past the ticketer, plan around that.

7. SEPTA Key Cards allow you to ride the train for free on weekends. The card is free, but the minimum load is $10. Again, you won’t be charged for weekend train rides. You can use the money on your card for the bus, trolley, trackless trolley, Market Frankford Line, Broad Street/Broad Ridge Spur Line, and Norristown High Speed Line.

8. The LUCY is free with a UPenn ID. This is for those of you Mawrters taking classes at UPenn. This way, you don’t have to pay for a transfer.

For more information, check out the SEPTA website.

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.