5 Theaters to Visit in Philadelphia on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

With the start of the school year underway and the impending stress of exams lurking, it’s important to find an escape from time to time. Nothing is more refreshing than taking a step away from work for a while during stressful, anxiety-ridden times. There’s no better place to lose yourself and forget your troubles than at a theater – a place where the characters’ on-stage problems are the only ones that exist, if only for a few hours. Philadelphia has countless theater productions to choose from. Check out these five productions happening this month around Philly that are perfect for every college student who needs a break while staying on budget!

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

Next to Normal at The Resident Theatre Company: The Resident Theatre Company brings this 3 time Tony award-winning musical to Philadelphia this fall. The poignant musical follows the lives of the Goodmans, a family that struggles to cope with the mother’s bipolar disorder. It features an incredibly moving score and is guaranteed to stir the emotions of everyone in the audience. Directed by Kristin McLaughlin Mitchell, Next to Normal runs between September 29 and October 15. Tickets start at $25 and students can get 50% off on Thursday evenings with a valid ID.

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at Bristol Riverside Theatre: Directors Amy Kaissar and Susan B. Atkinson bring this lighthearted musical to the Bristol Riverside Theatre from September 19 to October 15. The show brings together six Spelling Bee competitors as they simultaneously tell their lives’ stories and compete for spelling victory. If you’re in need of a feel-good show to take your mind off of real life, this is the production for you. Tickets go for $15 for students under 25 with an ID.

Cabaret at Arden Theatre Company: Travel back to 1920s Berlin and visit a nightclub full of dancers, a playful Emcee, and the club’s star, Sally Bowles. This classic musical is risque in its performances and portrayal of Nazi-era Germany. Audiences are fully immersed in the show due to the cabaret-style set up of the theater. By the end of the show, you’ll feel as if you were transported in time to hear the harrowing, unforgettable tale of a decades-old cabaret. This production is directed by Matthew Decker and runs until October 22. Tickets are offered at $15 for teens, and student discounts are available for those 18 and older.

Souvenir: A Fantasia of Florence Foster Jenkins at Walnut Street Theatre: This amusing play tells of Florence Foster Jenkins – a performer who believes she is extremely talented despite not having any singing abilities. Jenkins strives to perform at Carnegie Hall and soon rises to stardom for her below- average talent. This play will make audiences laugh and even cringe at times. By the finale, you’ll find yourself actively cheering for the underdog. This performance runs until October 15 and tickets begin at $50.

2.5 Minute Ride at Theatre Horizon: This one-woman show, directed by Elaina Di Monaco, centers around Lisa as she attempts to deal with her 74- year old father’s declining health. Lisa brings the audience into her mind as she reminisces on family trips and ponders her father’s history. The play is sentimental, yet humourous. Lisa’s stories will pull audiences in and remind them the importance of family. Previews of this performance begin October 6 and the show runs until October 29. Ticket prices begin at $15.

Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021