5 Foods for Healthier Snacking in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Whether you’re determined not to gain the Freshman 15, exploring other eating choices, wanting to take a break from the dining hall’s food for a day, feeling like eating healthier once in awhile or simply living in Brecon, below is a list of five foods for healthier snacking that you might want to take a look at! These snacks are simple to prepare in a dorm without a kitchen and the ingredients are so common that you can find them at any market.

Photo courtesy of StockSnap

1. Oats (Breakfast)

Either quick oats or rolled oats, but try to avoid instant ones. I’m a big fan of oats, so this is more of a personal choice and may or may not be preferable for other people. Oats are such an awesome choice for a simple breakfast if you don’t have enough time to go to the dining hall. They’re so easy to prepare and only take five minutes! Plus, oats are a great source of fiber and carbs, which can make you feel full longer and fuel you until lunch.

Brief instructions to prepare:

• Pour a few tablespoons of oats into a bowl;
  • Fill it with milk and/or water;
  • Microwave for about 3.5 – 4 minutes;
  • Add some seasonings, fresh or dried fruits or nuts.

2. Yogurt (Breakfast or Snack)

Yogurt is solid in providing you with protein, so it’s a great choice for either breakfast or a quick snack. Go for non-fat with no added sugar if you want to choose the healthiest one! Some good brands are: Chobani, Dannon Oikos, Fage and Stonyfield.

3. Broccoli (Side Meal)

Steamed broccoli for a side meal, why not? It’s quick and easy to make too!

Brief instructions to prepare:

• Cut up 1/3 or half a crown of broccoli into a bowl;
  • Add 2 teaspoons of water;
  • Cover the bowl with a plate or plastic wrap;
  • Microwave for 4 – 6 minutes (depending on how much broccoli).

4. Granola or Muesli (Snacks)

These might be slightly strange snack choices because granola and muesli are usually breakfast foods, but they’re such yummy and nutritious snacks that I don’t feel bad about munching on them at all! They’re not empty calories but rather a great source of fiber and vitamins. You can also combine them with yogurt for more protein.

5. Smoothie or Tea (Drinks)

If you have a blender in your room and some fruits in the fridge, whip up a delicious smoothie for a boost of energy! If not, make some green or black tea when you need to stay up late or a cup of decaffeinated chamomile tea for a relaxing Saturday night.

Finally, I should emphasize that these foods are suggested alternatives for breakfast or snacks, but are definitely not recommended to replace main meals.

Tessa Pham is a rising senior at Bryn Mawr College ('20), double majoring in Computer Science and Linguistics. She was the event manager and a contributor for BMC's Her Campus chapter. Tessa writes to share her interests, passions, and experiences as well as to reflect on her personal development throughout college. She now publishes content at her personal website: www.tessagrethen.com.