XXX: HC Bryant’s “Porn for Thought”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

You walk into your boyfriend’s room only to catch him watching porn.  Awkward!  What’s your reaction? While for one female in Tennessee, the reaction was kicking him in the groin and stabbing him for “cheating,” another girlfriend may simply join in the fun. Her Campus Bryant researched what girls at Bryant thought, and after some research we have some porn for thought just for you…ready? 

One stance on the “porn issue” is asking ourselves, are our boyfriends are satisfied with us?  Why do they have to masturbate to other women?  For those believing this, they establish an insecurity that their sex is not good enough, often enough, etc., which could lead to feelings of insecurity.  HOWEVER, it is a proven fact that males are nearly twice as horny as females.  I asked my boyfriend how many hours out of the day would he say he was thinking of sex.  His answer?  11.  He sleeps for about 7, leaving 17 hours for conscious thinking.  11 hours of that is taken up by the thought of sex (according to him), probably 1 hour is taken up from having sex (okay, not every day), and then maybe 5 hours is taken up with video games or school work?  Is he a horndog or do all your men say the same?  While your sex life may be VERY pleasing, you are not always available when he is horny, so…. due to his need of visual aid, he watches porn.  That’s the answer—straight up, no chaser!   I mean who is honestly around for 11 hours to please your man?  Not us.

This brings up another stance, if WE don’t need porn to masturbate, why does he?  Here’s why: WOMEN HAVE MORE OF AN IMAGINATION.  That’s right ladies, we don’t need to see sexual things to get off.  Lucky us?  However, sadly enough, males do. They are visual—hence the blink-free eyes when you walk by him naked.  Just thinking about sex isn’t always enough for him to get the “deed” done; he likes to get hands on if you know what I mean.

On the other extreme one woman stated, “I’m so sick of women thinking that porn is somehow a threat to their relationship. How exactly does a picture on a computer screen or in a magazine threaten real life human interaction?” This quote brings up this idea: your man watching porn has nearly nothing to do with your relationship, so why bother sweating it?  We all know Jersey Shore isn’t actually reality, so we hope your guy realizes the ridiculous things done in most porn isn’t reality either.
Clearly the thought process on porn is very different for everyone, but here is how some females have solved the problem: One stated that she and her boyfriend watch porn together.  This way the act doesn’t feel so secretive.  Rather, it makes him watching porn, even when he’s not with you, feel like an act tied to you since you sometimes enjoy the act together—just another trick us women hide up our sleeves ;) Other girls just simply sweep the issue under the rug and never bring it up.  Why bother bugging him if you rarely know when he does it anyways?  What guy hops on the phone, immediately after, and calls his girlfriend to let her know he just did the “deed?” NONE. So let him do what he’s got to do.

Lastly, for those of you who are just straight up disgusted by it, let him know how you feel. He will probably give you some really good logic to why he does it, which will make you more secure. Try to find a happy medium because making him stop may not be the best thing. Try making it something you don’t have to worry about!

Right here, we began writing a paragraph about the chance of your guy not watching porn. HAHAHAHA—then we found ourselves laughing and continually held down the backspace.  Let’s be real girls, your man watches it or looks at it more than you probably know!

So what do you think about your man watching porn?  Turn on or turn off?  Ignore it or love it?  Let us know what you think!

Makena is a senior at Bryant University, studying International Business, Marketing and Spanish. In addition to co-founding Her Campus at Bryant, Makena is a published author, a peer mentor for Academic Programs International, works as a research assistant on campus, and is over-involved in general (and loving it). When she isn’t running frantically between classes, work and meetings, Makena enjoys travel, good Tex-Mex and getting lost in a great book.