This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Beginning my sophomore year at Bryant University, I was determined to get further involved on campus and meet more people. By reflecting on my own college experience thus far, I realized I was so instantly drawn to Her Campus and the club that correlates with my major, that I wanted to find another activity that I would be excited to be part of. Then I heard that our school was in the process of colonizing a new national sorority chapter, Alpha Sigma Alpha.

This caught my interest because I liked the idea of being a founding sister and building an organization from the ground up. Colonization is the period in which the members create traditions, form general dynamics of how things will operate, and determine who will be accountable for which tasks. Most sororities share similar missions and the key components of sisterhood, service, and scholarship. These concepts aligned with my values and I figured there was no better opportunity to utilize my leadership skills and branch out with girls in all different grade levels.

I was still somewhat nervous because Greek Life has so many negative connotations, but now I can say for myself that none of them are true. Alpha Sigma Alpha extended bids to women regardless of their college standing and it was a memory I’ll never forget. It was the most amazing feeling to be in a place and think to myself “This is where I’m supposed to be”. That idea relates to almost anything that is spectacular and worth the risk in life. A famous quote by William Shedd reads, “A ship in the harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for”. Many of my friends have told me that joining a sorority was one of the best choices they’ve ever made and I finally understand why. It’s the immense and continuous growth that makes Alpha Sigma Alpha so empowering. These past few weeks have been filled with incredible girls who I’ve had a blast getting to know and have taught me things about myself by introducing me to fresh perspectives and expanding my mindset.

Alpha Sigma Alpha’s slogan, “Crafting women of poise and purpose” stuck with me and convinced me to jump into this unique chapter that is just beginning here at Bryant. I’m thrilled to be making friendships that will last a lifetime and spending time in such a positive atmosphere. I can’t wait for the next few years with my new sisters and to watch Alpha Sigma Alpha flourish. It’s weird that I thought sororities were just about wearing cute Greek letters (even though that is a perk), but they are infinitely more than that. In Alpha Sigma Alpha we strive to help others and improve our communities, as well as complement each other’s strengths while conquering our weaknesses. Thomas S. Monson said, “Of this be sure, you don’t find the happy life… you make it”, and I’m making my life happy by pursuing my passions and joyously living. 

I like summer, country music, and mint chocolate chip ice cream, preferably at the same time.