Useful Hair and Nail Tips for Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Spring has officially arrived! While everyone is pulling out their shorts and flip flops, you’re probably thinking, “I could really use a fresh start to my beauty regimen with the warm, sunny days ahead!” But how? How can you achieve that carefree, breezy look after a long and chilly winter? I took a drive to Encore Hair Salon in Smithfield and talked to a few friendly ladies about tips and tricks for springtime hair and nail care. These ladies update themselves on new trends and take classes twice a year to help keep their customers happy.

Hair
(Tips from Barbara A. Fontenault)

• Tip #1: If you’re like me and have to wake up at 5 a.m. for practice, and then have a half hour before you have to rush off to your 8 a.m. class, then this tip will come in very handy. Barbara says to wash your hair at night, that way, your hair won’t be as oily in the
    morning. You can still shower after practice, but now you won’t have to take additional time to wash your hair (and you’ll still be on time for that dreaded 8 a.m. class)!
  • Tip #2: A good way to keep moisture in your hair while you’re lying outside in the sun doing homework is to put a little bit of conditioner in your hair. Once you come back in, you can rinse it right off. Another way to help dry hair is to put a few drops of Jojoba Oil in your hair while you’re in the shower.
  • Tip #3: Remember to get a trim every few weeks! Conditioning will not help split ends. Giving your hair a quick trim is your best bet! Encore offers a wash, cut and style at $25 to $27.
  • Tip #4: If you’re one of those people that blow dries and straightens your hair every day, make sure that your blow dryer is ionic – it puts a negative charge on your hair which helps smooth and reduce the drying time. Also, spending a few extra bucks on a flat iron that has a temperature control is definitely worth it. Many of the cheaper ones don’t have this feature and you don’t know how hot it actually gets. A good temperature to keep it at is about 400 degrees. Always remember to put something in your hair to protect it before you straighten it. Some great products to use are organic products or products that are sulfate-free.

Nails
(Tips from Katelyn Elizabeth)

• Tip #1: Always use cuticle oils in the springtime. It helps hydrate nails and makes them grow longer. They can be found at Sally’s Beauty Supply.
  • Tip #2: In the winter time, we often use darker colors to paint our nails. Well, it’s time to put the blacks and browns away, ladies! Try leaning towards brighter tones, such as coral or red, which compliment your nails to help make them look longer, even if they’re short!
  • Tip #3: Don’t forget to use lotion! UV rays can be tough on your skin so using a lotion with SPF will help protect your skin.
  • Tip #4: Manicures and pedicures should be done once a month. To take care of nails between appointments, invest in some files and cuticle pushers to use after the shower when your skin is damped to try to keep the shape of your nail. Doing this will decrease the time it takes to get your nails done at the
    salon. Encore offers a mani/pedi for $40. Go ahead, spoil yourselves!
  • Tip #5: For cracked heels, try out a cracked heel therapy lotion or body butter for your feet. They can be found at Sally’s Beauty Supply or even Walmart. This will help keep your feet moisturized if you’re going for a walk in flip flops or spending a day at the beach.

The ladies at Encore Hair Salon are friendly and are super attentive to your needs! Visit them at:

20 Cedar Swamp Road
Smithfield, RI 02917
(401)231-4248

Makena is a senior at Bryant University, studying International Business, Marketing and Spanish. In addition to co-founding Her Campus at Bryant, Makena is a published author, a peer mentor for Academic Programs International, works as a research assistant on campus, and is over-involved in general (and loving it). When she isn’t running frantically between classes, work and meetings, Makena enjoys travel, good Tex-Mex and getting lost in a great book.