This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

“Diet” is in quotes because the common use of the word leads people to believe that it is temporary. It should be noted that if you want to make a real difference, your new “diet” needs to become a lifestyle change. To be perfectly honest, those two week “cleanses” will not do anything. Everyone’s seen ads for “Teatoxes,” “Juice cleanses,” “The Grapefruit Diet,” “Lemonade Cleanse,” and many more. Been there, done that, doesn’t work. You will be dehydrated and malnourished by the end, and the weight will indubitably come back on as if it never left. If you want to look good and feel good from the way you eat, here are two styles of eating that yield results that Her Campus members can personally attest to.

1)    Paleo

This one makes perfect sense and is scientifically sound. Believe it or not, there was a time before processed cr*p. We are hunters and gatherers, which is why it is so important to have balance in our meals. However, this balance may not include as many items as you thought. The basic premise of eating “paleo” or “the caveman diet” is eating the way our ancestors did, the cavemen and cavewomen.

Here are the rules:

An important rule of thumb is: if it comes from a box or has an ingredients list that is more than one item- do not eat it.

Tip: If you are trying to lose weight more quickly- cut out nuts and sugars (fruit). A paleo diet is high in protein and fat, and low in carbs and sugar. Also, calorie counting and portion control are not encouraged (WHAT!?).

There are extensive benefits from switching to paleo.

2)    The Whole30

The rules between Whole30 and Paleo are honestly not too different. Whole30’s basic premise is that there are foods that are detrimental to your health and you may not even know it. If you’re feeling sluggish, have unexplained pains, or just simply can’t lose weight no matter how hard you try- changing your eating style is your best bet.

For 30 days, you are supposed to cut out every “psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups” in order to repair your body and allow it to recover (Whole30.com). This means everything, no compromising.

The Whole30 has the potential to completely reset your metabolism, as well as any inflammation that is being caused by harmful foods. It can also change your entire relationship with food, an issue that so many people struggle with. Your cravings and habits will change for the better, as well as your mentality and your BMI.

The Whole30 Program Rules are as follows:

By “paleo-ified desserts/breads” they mean you cannot make anything that resembles, or is a “healthier version of” something you cannot eat. For example, two eggs and a banana combined and cooked on a frying pan make a delicious “banana pancake,” however, pancakes are not Whole30 approved so this is imitation is not either.

Another important aspect of Whole30 is how your entire focus should be on making good food choices. You are not supposed to weigh or measure yourself for the full 30 days. Also, if you mess up, you are to start over from day 1.

Tip: Meal prep is SO important. Plan out what you are going to eat for the week with some back-ups to avoid unhealthy temptations. Also, drink tons of water. Carrying a water bottle with you at all times really helps.

If the promise of a healthier “you” is not enough to convince you to try the Whole30, here are 30 reasons why you should. 

Before attempting a new eating style, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and that those reasons will be enough to motivate you through it. Eat right because you love your body and want to treat it right, not because you hate it. Big changes take time, so do not get discouraged. You will only get out of it what you put in. Have patience but stay motivated; it will all pay off. But most importantly, show yourself and your body the love it deserves every day.

Ana Deacon

Bryant '18

*Insert lyrics to "All Star" by Smash Mouth* Bryant University Class of 2019