Trust the System: My Formal Recruitment Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Disclaimer: This story does not represent the views of Her Campus Bryant or any other Her Campus chapter, this blog is from the perspective of one individual.

Formal Recruitment, these words bring a certain nervous excitement to anyone looking to join a sorority. Joining Greek Life is a great opportunity for anyone looking to get involved in a big way on campus. Greek Life is a great supportive community and they all come together to support some great causes.  Going through formal recruitment is a great opportunity to meet new girls. I decided sophomore year that I would put myself out there second semester and go through formal recruitment. I wasn’t 100% sure Greek Life was for me quite yet, but I figured a weekend of being surrounded by sorority girls would give me clarity.

First Day:

Everyone arrived and there was a buzz. All the girls were excitedly waiting to hear what the weekend had in store for us. Around 100 girls flooded Papitto, all talking about which sororities were their favorites. We went through and met a bunch of very enthusiastic girls wearing cute coordinating outfits and had conversations with a handful of them. Everyone was really nice and asked what seemed to be like a laundry list of questions. It was nice, some of the conversations were interesting, but in the pit of my stomach I knew I was nothing like these girls. Not in a bad way, I just didn’t form a connection or a bond with anyone. I had a headache from fake smiles and strained laughter. It was all really nice, just not for me.

Second Day:

Waking up was a struggle, I didn’t feel as excited as I did the first day. Everyone says “trust the system”, so I showed up on the second day. Not until today did I really understand what “trust the system” meant to me. I thought I would be more excited today, that I would really find my place and relax, but I didn’t. Everyone was super friendly and talked about their philanthropies. Philanthropy was what excited me the most about Greek Life, I have always loved to volunteer and raise money for charities. All the girls that I talked to were very well versed on everything philanthropy. I really enjoyed this day, we made crafts for the charities the sororities support. It was really nice, but still I didn’t feel all in.

I talked to my mom about it at night, I was so overwhelmed with everything and I just needed to talk to someone outside of the Bryant bubble. I talked about it and really got to say how I felt. I realized Greek Life just wasn’t for me, I was kinda disappointed. I so wanted to be able to wear letters, go to social events, and hang out with my sisters all the time, but it really wasn’t for me. I didn’t fit in anywhere, but I didn’t regret spending a weekend finding that out.

Third Day:

So on the third day of formal recruitment most girls get invited back to sororities that show interest in them, if no sorority invites you back then you will not get a bid and will not join Greek Life. I woke up knowing I did not get invited back and I was okay with it. I put myself out there and tried. When I got a call Sunday morning, informing me that I did not get an invite back, I wasn’t surprised. I spent the day sleeping and writing articles, my two favorite things.

For any girls who are on the fence about joining a sorority, I strongly suggest that you go through formal recruitment. I might not be wearing letters in a few weeks, but I am definitely sure of myself and who I am. If I were to skip out on the whole process, I would eventually regret it. The only downside to me is that all my close friends are in Greek Life and it is hard to not feel left out. It is really true that you can “trust the system”.