This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

With holiday parties slowly creeping up, it sometimes gets boring to always bring the same thing every single time. We’re happy for you that you finally mastered a decent buffalo chicken dip, but you don’t want to be known as the girl who always brings buffalo dip everywhere she goes, do you? Switch it up; bring some main dishes, a different type of appetizer, or even better… bring a desert (everyone’s favorite part of the meal anyway)! To help, we at Her Campus Bryant have ranked some of the best cookies to make and bring to your holiday party… OR just to make and eat yourself as you watch Hallmark Christmas movies.

1. White Chocolate Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies

Combine oats, flour, salt, and baking soda; stir into butter mixture one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until golden brown.

2. Snickerdoodle Cookies

Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, the butter, shortening and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.  Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

3. Anise Cookies

In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and white sugar. Make a well in the center and add oil, milk, 1 tablespoon anise extract, and eggs. Mix together until dough is sticky. Oil fingers and pinch off dough in 1 inch pieces. Roll into a ball and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, 1 inch apart, flatten top slightly. Bake for 8 minutes. Dip cookies in icing while warm. To Make Icing: Blend in 1 teaspoon anise extract and enough hot water to 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar to form a smooth icing.

*** we also encourage you to ask your nana about her recipe because there is probably a family secret somewhere as well

4. Gingerbread Cookies

Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside.In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks. When cool, the cookies can be frosted with the icing of your choice.

5. Good Ol’ Sugar Cookies

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 8 minutes and cool completely.

6. And if worst comes to worst: Break and Bake Pillsbury Holiday Cookies

Break, bake, wrap in your own container and fool others that they are yours!

Boston Ma. Undergraduate at Bryant University.