Taking a Different Approach to Your New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

It is officially December and the majority of our focus is on the upcoming holiday season. We are nearing the end of the year, where we will close a chapter of our lives to open a new, (and hopefully) more exciting one. With 2018 in sight, everyone is deciding on what their New Year’s Resolutions will be.

More times than not, the most common New Year’s Resolutions revolve around weight loss, dieting, and saving money. These resolutions are very broad and can often be lost in the grand scheme of one’s life. Think about it this way, every year on January 1st the gym is packed with people trying to start of the New Year right. But by February 1st, the gym is back to its regular clientele. Sometimes the New Year’s Resolutions that we set can be too much of a change to be sustainable for the lifestyle that we are living, and this is okay. This year it is time to find a New Year’s Resolution that you are truly passionate in and want to stick to!

Focusing on a different type of New Year’s Resolution may be very beneficial in this coming year. Trying something unfamiliar and new may be exactly what is needed to bring a focus back to one’s own happiness. Altering one aspect of life or adding one new thing in to your regular daily routine can cause a significant change in your outlook. Try one of these 15 ideas that can build a lasting change for you:

1. Master 10 yoga poses

This may be a complete “stretch” from what you were thinking of making your New Year’s Resolution. But what’s better than trying something outside of your comfort zone? Taking up yoga is a great way to strengthen your body and improve your balance while also taking time to distress from your day. Try mastering 10 of your favorite yoga poses throughout the year, you never know where it may get you.

2. Learn how to play the ukulele

Learning to play the ukulele is a great hidden talent that can be talked about endlessly. Although it is not something many people use often, it is definitely something cool to take up.

3. Travel to a state you’ve always wanted to see

Start this coming year with the mindset that you are going to travel somewhere new. Traveling within the country is cheap and affordable, and if you save your pennies during the first half of the year you can surely take a journey during the second half of the year. Try visiting California, Wyoming, or even Idaho. You never know what you could discover.

4. Travel to a foreign country (if you can afford it)

There is no time like the present. If you can afford it, take that trip to somewhere you have always dreamed of going. Whether you want to visit the Eiffel Tower, ski down the Snowy Swiss Alps, or lounge on a beach chair in Bali, now is the time to do it!

5. Find a new way to make money

Rather than focusing on working more hours at your job, and straining yourself while doing so, find a different way to make money. Learn a little bit about the stock market and start to invest. This could lead to a large amount of wealth as well as knowledge on a topic you may have never gotten to learn about without a push.

6. Gradually give up a bad habit

It is going to be easy to carry your bad habits over into the new year. Whether this is smoking cigarettes, biting your nails, or having poor posture, it is a good idea to leave it in 2017. It is not necessary to quit this bad habit cold turkey, or quit multiple bad habits at once. Pick one habit of yours that you do not necessarily like, and gradually start to change your behavior toward it. Eventually, you will be able to lessen its impact on your life.

7. Spend more time with those that matter

With the constant rush of each day, we often lose sight of those that mean the most to us. We are never truly living life in the moment and often take things for granted. Although it may seem sad, we do not know how much time we have left with those that matter most. Make it a pact to spend more time with your loved ones this coming year, for you do not know what the future holds.

8. Give back

Giving back may seem like an extremely broad thing to do, but that is because there are so many ways to do it. Everyone is passionate about something, so why not take this passion and turn it into an opportunity. Take time out of your year to pursue a philanthropic endeavor. This will never be a waste of time and it is something you can learn an abundance from.

9. Reduce social media consumption

Everyone is glued to their phones in this new age of technology. Whether it be a 6-year-old or a 60-year-old, everyone has become obsessed with it. Cutting back on your social media consumption can allow you to be more present in the moment, as well as have more time to do things that matter. Scrolling through your Instagram feed 7 times to view the same thing over and over again isn’t going to benefit you in any way. So put down your phone or computer and do something productive.

10. Focus on your health

Focusing on your overall health this coming year can influence the longevity that your life holds. Visit your doctor regularly to make sure that all of your body functions are working at optimal level. As well as this, ask your doctor what you can do to ensure that you are living your healthiest life.

11. Give yourself a little bit of “you time”

This is your time to sit back, relax, and do something that you enjoy. Whether it be reading a good book, going for a run to clear your head, or just having a little bit of down time to get lost in your thoughts, this is extremely important. Removing yourself from your surroundings and learning more about who you are will make you an overall happier person. Give yourself more “you time” this year, you won’t be disappointed.

12. Add a new exercise into your daily routine

Here’s an idea: add 10 squats into your morning routine, or a quick abdominal circuit to your nightly one. Wake up, do 10 squats, and move on with your day. Before bed, lay down on the ground and do 30 sit ups and a 1-minute plank. Small bursts of physical activity throughout the day will leave you feeling healthier and more alert.

13. Radiate positivity

This may seem silly on the surface, but if you radiate positivity others around you will too. Learning to turn your negative energy into positive energy can relieve a large amount of stress and anxiety that may be weighing you down right now. Always wear a smile and share words of encouragement to all.

14. Strengthen personal relationships

2018 may bring a new love interest in your life, or you may be going into the new year with someone you love. If this is a relationship you do not want to risk losing, work to strengthen it. Regardless of how strong you feel that the bond you currently share is, it is always possible to make it stronger. Set aside a date night, try and really understand the other persons point of view, or just make sure they know that you care. These ideas are all easy ways to strengthen your personal relationship.

15. Love yourself for who you are

This may just be the most important resolution of all. No one can love you more than you love yourself. You will always live inside YOUR body, so treat yourself with great care and teach yourself that you are a powerful and worthy individual. Build confidence and love yourself from the inside out. Always be true to who you are.

Bryant University Class of 2019 I am a caffeine dependent human being that enjoys avoiding all responsibilities. Blogging is a new passion of mine, hope you're a supporter. Love all the homies that read my articles. Xoxo B