samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Surviving the First Day of an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.
It’s natural to be nervous, but you survived your interviews… so you must be kind of qualified, right?

Nerves are setting in that you’re going to have to survive in the real world… a preview for the rest of your life

But then you remember that you’re working an internship not your minimum wage job from last summer, so you start making a mental list of everything you’re going to buy with your first paycheck

But forget that for now…  You just have to survive the first day.  

The night before you start you’re up all night stressing about all the things that can possibly go wrong

So you wake up five hours early just to make sure you’re really ready for what the day has in store for 

After trying on fifty different combinations of skirts, shirts, dress pants, sweaters and blazers you FINALLY decide on what you think is an office appropriate outfit

And you’re so nervous about being late that you leave your house a half hour too early, which leaves you ample time to give yourself a pep talk in the car before you go inside

Then you meet all the other interns and start sizing up potential BFF’s for the summer

One of thirty people you just met (whose names you’ll never remember) takes all the interns on a tour of the office to start the day, and you hope everyone doesn’t notice you’re falling everywhere while trying to walk in your heels

At the end of the tour they take you to your very own cubicle, fully stocked with all the office supplies you could ever dream of

Lunch time rolls around faster than you expected because it took you three hours to just log onto your computer

And after a half hour of awkward small talk with the other interns you wonder if you should just eat alone at your desk tomorrow….

Then your boss comes to your cube to take you to a meeting with him… But you just spend the whole meeting praying no one asks your opinion on anything because you have no idea what they’re talking about.

You get back to your desk and breathe a sigh of relief…. It’s almost 5:00 and you’re so close to having survived your first day

You make yourself look busy while you count down the final minutes of the day

At 5:00 you strut out of the office with your first day in the real world successfully in the books

And now you’re just thankful that unlike the rest of the people in the office, you get to go back to college in the fall