Sorority Spotlight: Avery Barros, Tri Sigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Avery Barros

Grade: Junior

Graduation year: 2017

Major/Minor: International Business, French          

Hometown: Kennebunk, Maine

Involvements: Dance Team

HC: Why did you join Greek life?

AB: I joined Greek life because I was really looking for a second home. I feel like I hadn’t really found my nitch yet and I was looking for a support system.

HC: Favorite memory/thing about Greek life?

AB: My favorite memory is probably tied between bid night and when I was elected President. Both were huge turning points for me and both were very very exciting.

HC: Favorite event?

AB: All of Greek Week; it’s really fun to just spend time with all the chapters and feel the sense of community, so that’s really my favorite.

HC: What is your role as the President?

AB: I serve mainly to communicate with our Nationals so that they know that we’re fufilling all of our standards, and making sure our Executive Board is getting everything done on time and is done properly. I serve as a resource for the chapter if there are any problems or concerns; I’m there as support. If anyone needs to talk to me, that’s what I’m here for too.

HC: What philanthropic and community services do you do?

AB: Tri Sigma’s Bobby Paige Memorial, all campus St. Jude Up till Dawn, Relay for Life. My dad and I run a charity dinner for Thanksgiving (probably between 200-250 people for dinner). The day before Thanksgiving we are prepping dinner and then serving it. We started it in my town, and I’ve been doing this since I was 5.

HC: What are you most excited for this semester in Greek life?

AB: I’m really excited to see where each chapter can go. We had such a great recruitment, not even the sororities, but for the fraternities too. It’s exciting, in general, to see what everyone does with their new officers and their new Executive Boards.

HC: What advice do you want to give girls joining a sorority?

AB: My biggest advice is to listen to your gut because you’ll know when you find your home. I know when I found my home I felt like I belonged. Don’t overthink it. The effort you put into a chapter is what you get out of it. It’s up to you to get what you get out of your own experience.