Recycle This, Not That

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

In honor of Earth month, HerCampus wanted to help you make the most educated decisions on what you can and can’t recycle! Something as simple as recycling is just one of many small steps you can take to improve our planet.

DO RECYCLE: Paper, Cardboard, and Cartons

Other products may be made from natural fibers but paper, cardboard, and cartons are the only fiber products that can be recycled!

Make sure everything is empty and rinsed if possible, plastic tops can be kept on as well.

DON’T RECYLE: Wood, Textiles, Paper Products

Though these are either natural materials or are made from such materials, they cannot be recycled! Make sure to dispose of these materials probably in the trash or at the dump if you are looking to get rid of them. Paper products include shredded paper, napkins, tissues, and paper towels.

DO RECYCLE: Metal Cans, Lids, Foil

These are the only metals that should be recycled! Containers should be empty and rinsed if possible. If you are looking to recycle foil, make sure it is clean and bunched up.

DON’T RECYCLE: Metal Cooking Products

Frying pans, pots and pans, and other things of the sort may be metal but it does not belong in your recycling bin.

DO RECYCLE: Glass Bottles and Jars

No other glass! The key here is the form. This makes a large difference. For example, glass drinking glasses cannot be recycled and if glass is broken it should go in the trash. Make sure to take off any metal tops, these can be recycled separately!

DON’T RECYCLE: Plastic Bags

Even the bag holding your recyclables cannot be recycled! Most facilities want your products to be delivered loose.

DO RECYCLE: Plastic Containers

Form is once again the key. If it is not a container, do not recycle! For example, though a coat hanger is plastic, it should not be recycled. Plastic tops can be put back on to containers before they are recycled.

DON’T RECYCLE: Foam Containers or Plastic Containers that Held Flammable Materials

Take out containers go right to the trash! Also any containers that held things like gasoline, motor oil, antifreeze, pesticides, and herbicides cannot be recycled.

The average person has the opportunity to recycle more than 25,000 cans in a lifetime. If you recycle one can of aluminum, it can provide enough energy to power a TV for three hours! If you recycled every chance you got, you could put about 75,000 hours’ worth of energy back into the world. Save the planet! Recycle!

Ana Deacon

Bryant '18

*Insert lyrics to "All Star" by Smash Mouth* Bryant University Class of 2019