This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Being from England, I had never experienced an American Thanksgiving before, and didn’t even know the reason behind the celebration; I still don’t know if I’m entirely sure! Thankfully, Elena Grigelevich invited me to her home during the break so I was spared the depression of living on a dead campus. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, which, to an extent, reminded me of Christmas at home, but without the presents! I helped rearrange the furniture in the ‘cosy’ house to make room for the 16 family members whilst watching my first Thanksgiving Parade and Dog Show. The family was so warm and inviting, and I found the whole ‘sharing what you’re thankful for’ ritual highly adorable! The food for me was the highlight: the stuffed mushrooms to start were incredible; the homemade cranberry sauce, apple sauce and turkey were to die for. I must admit that before visiting this household, I held the irrational assumption that americans can’t cook. I am glad to say that I was proved wrong!

Thank you to the entire Grigelevich family for making this such a memorable first Thanksgiving.