MH370: Still a Mystery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Hype around the Malaysian plane disappearance has died down since it first went missing 37 days ago, but the search still is continuing.  At this point, the batteries that power the black box on the flight, which is what investigators have been racing against time to find since the first day, are most likely dead.  It has been five days since a ping from the black box was detected and the search area has recently been increased by almost 40% in the Southern Indian Ocean.  The black box from MH370 is essential to solving the mystery of what happened on that flight.   At this point in the investigation, police have found nothing suspicious about the passenger manifest.  However, police are still investigating the possibility of hijacking, terrorist motives, or psychological and personal problems.  There are still many ships and aircraft engaged in trying to find the plane.  The next step in the investigation is to start using underwater vehicles with sonar to search if the pings have died out.  Still no debris has been recovered, which is hard for families who are waiting for physical evidence that the search for the aircraft is in the right place.  Although there is not as much public anger from the families of the passengers, somewhere out there are 239 people and searchers are determined to find them for their families. 

Sources:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/13/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/