The Life of a Commuter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Have you ever had one of those dreadful walk of shames back to your dorm room after a sloppy drunk hook up? Well as a commuter, those dreadful walk of shames are amplified by a million. This is because it is not simply just a walk down your hall, but a walk out of the hall that you don’t reside in, out to your car, and into the house that your parents own. It’s hard to judge what’s worse: the stares from your parents, or the ones from the residents looking at you like you clearly don’t belong there. Sometimes they even ask questions like “do you even go to Bryant?” or make comments like “oh, you’re one of those commuters.” Yes, everyone, commuters are also students at Bryant.

Commuting has its downsides, like having to drive home after late team meetings, or having to get up early to drive in everyday, as opposed to being able to roll out of bed ten minutes before an 8am. There’s also the feeling that we miss out on the socialization that goes on in the dorms. Hopefully as a school, Bryant University can stop viewing those who do not reside on campus as “commuters,” and just view them as students like everyone else. Very often we commuters hear people say “omg, I’m so tired I have to walk all the way back to my dorm,” but then they are inconsiderate of commuters when scheduling meeting times late at night. Moral of the story: try to be more considerate. We are no different than any other student, expect for the fact that we get our nice beds to sleep in every night, and our whole wardrobes to choose from. You never know though, we may invite you home with us for a home cooked meal, so there is a plus to being friends with “those commuters” after all.