Lessons We Learned From Sex and the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

How many times have you watched an episode of Sex and the City and thought “oh my gosh- this is literally so me” Because for most of us it happens often, maybe too often. The four women encounter everything we’ve ever experienced and what we probably will experience in the next 5-10 years of our lives. They’ve slept with some of the best looking men, and some of the worst. They’ve fallen in and out of love. But most importantly, they are always there for one another. Here are some of the best lessons we’ve learned from Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte.

Sometimes you just have to put yourself first.

We’ve all bent over backwards for others and some deserve it, and some don’t. Samantha realizing that she sometimes has to put herself before others is the perfect inspiration for us women to “love ourselves or no one will.”  

Have Faith.

Even though Carrie and Big end up together in the end (sorry, spoiler), there were many times throughout the series where we all questioned if they would ever make it. Even when they weren’t together, we had faith because of how much we loved them. This goes for anything in your life: just have faith and things will get better.

It’s okay to not always have it together.

Miranda: the successful lawyer, the one who is always on a timely schedule and plan, is wearing the same shirt she wore last night. Sometimes it’s okay to re-wear the same clothes, or not always have it together. We are humans- a.k.a we don’t always have to be perfect!

It’s okay to stay in sometimes.

Skip the party if you have to. Get a goodnight sleep, have a wine night with your gals, or put a facial on and just hang out. Sometimes that’s all that is needed.

Sometimes swiping your card repeatedly is the answer.

“Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.”

Boys will be boys, but at the end of the day, our girlfriends will always be there for us- day or night, rain or shine.

Boston Ma. Undergraduate at Bryant University.