How to Make Living in a Forced Triple Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

So, you’re in a forced triple. If you’re like most Bryant freshman your heart sunk a bit when you received your rooming assignment. With one of the largest freshman classes in Bryant history comes forced triples, but think positive- it simply means more friends and experiences.

5 reasons why being in a forced triple is awesome:

·        You automatically have two new best friends to get dinner with, go on gym dates, and to help you understand the calc homework you’ve been staring at for two hours now.

·        More people means more food. Your roommate may just happen to have the Lindor truffles you’ve been dying to eat during ‘that time’.

·        You learn to live in a small space. When you finally get a double next year, you’ll feel as though you’re on top of the world.

·        You learn to compromise and problem solve, two skills that will be useful in the future workforce.

·        Two roommates means double the support system. There will always be someone there to listen about your latest boy drama or how you just miss your cat.

With a forced triple comes a smaller space, here are some organization tips on how to make it work:

1.Use vertical space: Vertical closet hangers for shoes, tall storage bins across your desk overhead, and stacking plastic storage bins are all great options.

2.Velvet hangers: These are a fashionistas best friend. The hangers are slimmer and therefore more clothes will fit into your 1/3 closet space.

3.Plastic storage bins: Did you know the width of your closet fits exactly one wide three drawer storage bin and one narrow three drawer storage bin? Use these to store snacks or just more clothes. Bonus: you can put a basket storage bin on top!

4.Store things in baskets/bins: Avoiding visible clutter is much more appealing for the eye. Line the top shelf of your closet with bins which you can then store you laundry supplies or that sweater you know you’ll only wear once all year.

5.Top bunk gals: Purchase a bunk buddy ($15.99 on bunkbuddy.com). This will provide a solid flat surface for you to place drinks on, your glasses, or even your laptop with the latest Her Campus article pulled up!

6.Under the bunk beds: Probably a neglected area where you have a case of water or who knows what shoved under there, but if used right there can be a ton of space! Buy shallow but large plastic bins and store things such as thick winter jackets and boots!

7.Share common items: Things such as sharing laundry supplies and doing laundry collectively saves space and time. Other items such as cups, plastic utensils, paper towels and water can also be shared.

8.Keep messes to a minimum: It’s easy for a triple to look messy, do your part and trade off chores such as vacuuming and disinfecting.

If asked to De-Triple:

If given the option to De-Triple, stick together! If things are working out you’ll have a much more positive social life at Bryant. Plus, if you move out you could end up with someone you don’t get along with as well as your previous roommates. Her Campus Bryant wishes all forced triple freshman the best of luck with the upcoming year!