Healthy Snacks You Can Eat In Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Most people believe that it is nearly impossible to be healthy in college. This is false! There are so many easy snacks that you can store in your fridge and room that are affordable and easy. Finding the right balance between healthy food and junk food is really important when shopping for college snacks. Almost anyone wants to grab a carton of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream over a cup of Greek yogurt. Don’t deprive yourself of the things you really do enjoy, but do not eat every unhealthy thing in sight because it is what you wanted in the moment. Think about the foods that you don’t ever want to give up, and let yourself enjoy them every once and a while. Besides this, learn to incorporate healthy snacks into your diet so you aren’t gaining all of the weight that comes along with college!

Try these healthy snacks and feel better about yourself before, during, and after you eat them. They are easy to grab and go, or enjoy in your dorm room.

1. Carrots and hummus

Carrots and hummus are absolutely delicious! There are so many different types of hummus that once you find one that you like, you may be addicted. They are a perfect pair and the carrots can replace unhealthy options such as chips or pretzels.

2. Celery or apples with peanut butter

Depending on the mood you are in, pairing peanut butter with celery or apples will really solve a craving. If you want something sweeter, an apple is recommended. It is great in place of a dessert. As for celery, this is always great when you want a nice crunch. The peanut butter will offset the more bitter taste of the celery and make a nice pair.

3. Microwave popcorn

Very good snack to have if you are craving chips or pretzels. Don’t go buying the “extra salt” or “movie theater butter” kind. We all know that isn’t healthy. Going for options like “all natural” or “home style” is a much healthier and filling option.

4. Trail mix

Trail mix is super easy for on-the-go snacking. You can buy all different kinds with all different ingredients depending on what your preferences are. Making trail mix at home is also an option. Common ingredients include almonds, cashews, raisins or cranberries, dark chocolate pieces, pumpkin seeds, and so much more. Full of protein and delicious!

5. Dried fruit

This is another perfect on-the-go snack or a good snack to eat in class. It may be difficult to eat an entire apple or orange in class, but a bag of dried fruit is sure to do the trick. Dried fruit is great when you need something sweet and chewy, almost as if you are eating candy. There are also so many types of fruit that you will never get bored.

6. Occasional dark chocolate

Having a piece of dark chocolate every now and then is good for the soul. This will cure your sweet tooth without piling too many extra calories onto your day. It is a much better option than a carton of ice cream or other types of sugary candy.

7. Protein bars

Protein bars can be good and bad. Many protein bars say that have protein, when in reality it may only be 3 grams of protein paired with 30 grams of sugar. Try sticking to protein or energy bars with low amounts of ingredients and always make sure the grams of protein outweigh the grams of sugar.

8. Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a great breakfast and can be paired with so many things. Adding cinnamon will boost your metabolism, and including peanut butter will provide more protein. This is often a meal replacement and adding fruit into the mix can create an even more filling meal.

9. String cheese

String cheese is a great grab and go snack that is filling and holds protein. They come in large packs and last for a relatively long amount of time. Keep them in your fridge and take them with you before class rather than grabbing that bag of chips.

10. Deli Meat

Deli meat is very versatile. Try sticking to low sodium meats and meats with less fat. Turkey and chicken are great options over salami or roast beef. These are great when you want to make a roll up to take on the go or eat with whole wheat crackers if there is no time for lunch.

11. Fruits and Veggies

You can’t go wrong with fruits and veggies. They are all healthy, filling, and delicious. Most dining halls have different fruit and vegetable options that you can take with you on the go and store in your dorm room fridge. These are great late night options when you are up studying or bored and feeling the need to eat something.

Healthy eating can be fun, we promise. All of these snacks are tasty and will give you energy to accomplish your day. These are all relatively inexpensive options; some can even be found at your dining hall. Good luck, and stay healthy!

Bryant University Class of 2019 I am a caffeine dependent human being that enjoys avoiding all responsibilities. Blogging is a new passion of mine, hope you're a supporter. Love all the homies that read my articles. Xoxo B