This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We’ve all had our fair share of bad makeup days. Sometimes, our faces are just more fleek-y than other times. Don’t worry, it’s not your fault! After all, you wouldn’t expect an artist to make the next billion-dollar masterpiece with crumby supplies or a weak canvas. The trick to having perfect make up every day for the rest of your life is to have a good face. What do we mean by a good face, you ask? Here are some tried and true tips to get that face of yours looking good with or without a full face of make up!

1. Personalize your skincare routine.

Find products that work for you and don’t be afraid to stick to them. If you don’t know what to use, don’t feel ashamed asking for help because there is nothing worse than treating your skin with the wrong products and getting rashes or over-dried skin. Ick!

Pro tip: Don’t let them trick you into spending $300 on two items.

2. Clean yourself!

We’re not saying you have to shower and do a deep pore cleansing every single day, but like come on ladies, do you think make up remover gets everything off your face? If you answered “yes,” you’re wrong. First, pick a cleanser that is gentle enough for your skin type. This could take many tries, but when you find your holy grail, get to scrubbing. Think of all the gross stuff your face goes through every day: sweat, oil, dirt, fecal matter that’s on your phone because obviously you can’t go to the bathroom without it, and much more. Now, think about all the things your face touches that you really don’t think about, like your make up brushes and your pillow (EW!). $50 says those aren’t washed every single day.

3. Tone those pores!

Alright, so a very important step that many people don’t know about is toning. A toner is used after you wash your face. This step is crucial because toners close your pores after a hot shower. This prevents dirt from getting in and clogging your pores. You can wash your face every day, but if you aren’t closing your pores afterwards, there’s virtually no point. 

4. MOISTURIZE!

Oh my gosh ladies, we cannot stress enough how important keeping your skin moisturized is. Yes, they make moisturizer for faces. It’s important that you moisturize twice a day. Once in the morning, and once right before you go to bed. Moisturizing your skin is pretty much replenishing the oils that are stripped from it when your face is washed. This is an important step because if the skin is not moisturized it could very easily become dried out OR could take the opposite route and become oily. Neither of these are ideal so please, for the sake of your skin, moisturize!

5. Sunscreen.

What? Yes. Even if you aren’t out in the sun for long amounts of time, you still need sunscreen. The sun has harmful rays that pre-maturely age and damage the skin. Yes, there might be an overcast day, but do you think the sun just decided to take a nap? Hate to break it to you, but the sun isn’t taking a break and neither should you. Don’t melt! Take two seconds and lather some sunscreen on.

6. Treat yo’ self!

Face masks, face masks, face masks! Once a week, feel free to sit back and chill; drink some wine, watch an episode of Park and Rec, and think about how much your skin will love you once this mask comes off! Face masks hydrate, brighten, and tighten your skin. They’re very relaxing and perfect for a girls’ night. Make sure you don’t go crazy and overuse them, though.