Fundraising Tips For Saint Jude Up ’til Dawn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

There is less than three weeks until Up ‘Til Dawn for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital! Her Campus is so excited to be a participant in the event on November 7th and stay up for the children of St. Jude and their loved ones. We understand fundraising can be a bit intimidating at first, but it’s really super easy! So Her Campus Bryant has put together these tips and tricks to help you reach your team’s fundraising goal.

1. Don’t be shy! Let everyone know that you are participating in Up ‘Til Dawn and tell them why you are staying up. Let them know what your fundraising goal is, and then ask for a donation. Anytime is a perfect opportunity to raise awareness and fundraise at the same time.

2. Ask 10 friends to donate 10 dollars each to reach a fundraising milestone of 100 dollars!

3. Personalize your fundraising page by adding your own text, pictures, or video. Your friends and family will be interested in the cause, but they are primarily interested in you. Make sure you tell them why you are getting involved (it doesn’t have to be long).

4. Send individual emails/Facebook messages/phone calls to your five closest contacts and ask them for donations first. Getting your “inner circle” to donate to your page will help you build up some momentum. It’s also good to start with the people you are most comfortable with!

5. Your closest contacts are the ones most likely to donate, more remote contacts are less likely to donate. As you make progress towards your fundraising goal people become more and more likely to donate to you – people want to donate to something others are donating to!

6. Write a Facebook post to thank people who have already donated to you! Tag them in the post to expand your exposure.

7. Don’t feel awkward to send follow up emails/messages/calls to people who don’t respond or donate right away. Make the message fun by sharing your donation progress and include inspiring stories about St. Jude Children’s Hospital.

8. Believe in the fight against childhood cancer and commit to raising donations!

9. Be creative and HAVE FUN! 

How to Write an Effective Donation Message:

• Start by explaining why you are participating in Up ‘Til Dawn – this is the most important part of the message!
  • Briefly explain what St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is and the work that they do for children. A fun fact about the hospital is a great addition! Doing this helps donors understand where their money is going and what it will be used for.
  • Ask for a donation to reach your fundraising goal – and mention your progress. Include a link to your fundraising page.
  • Thank your contacts for their time and support.

Most importantly, be genuine and yourself! If you feel like the message is fake, rewrite it!

Good luck and happy fundraising! HCXO