samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Emotional Stages of Pulling an All Nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We’ve all been there. It’s 10 pm when you suddenly realize you have an exam, a presentation, and a paper all due tomorrow. Your bed is the only place you want to be but you are far from it.

Stage 1: Focused

The first sip of coffee always tastes so good. You feel energized and ready to get all of this work done. Hey, maybe you’ll even finish early and be able to get some sleep.

Stage 2: Regret

The clock strikes 12 and you haven’t even made a dent in your paper. You suddenly regret binge watching Grey’s Anatomy and skipping class to paint your nails.

Stage 3: Stress

Is 2 am too early to start stress eating? No? Good.

Stage 4: Panic

Panic sets in when you realize that you only have a few hours left until your exam. You begin to contemplate college and wonder if it is even worth it. You could become an exotic dancer or just marry rich.

Stage 4: Energized

After the fourth cup of coffee, your hands might be shaking, but there is no stopping you! Time to finish all of this work!!

Stage 5: Sleepiness

The worst part about coffee is the crash. Suddenly your eyes flutter closed and it takes all you have to keep them open.

Stage 6: Confident

You survived the night! Even though you got five minutes of sleep your paper is done, your presentation is prepared, and you’re ready to ace your exam.

Stage 7: Happiness

Even if you didn’t ace all of your work, at last you’re back in your dorm room and it’s time for some much needed and well deserved sleep. Sweet dreams! 

Kim Flynn

Bryant '19

Fan of puppies and Starbucks. Avid koozie collector. You can usually find me with my shoe untied.