The Do’s and Don’ts of the Career Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Interacting and networking with potential employers at career fairs are an easy way to get a foot in the door when it comes to attaining that first job or internship. Even if you already have a position lined up, career fairs are a great opportunity to network with alumni and recruiters. To help you stick out in the minds of employers, Her Campus has come up with a list of do’s and don’ts to be successful at the career fair! Make sure you take advantage of this opportunity this Tuesday from 5-7:30!

#1. DO dress professionally! Remember you want to dress to impress! Business formal is preferred but business casual is fine as well. See our article on career fair outfits here!

#2. DO get your resume critiqued before the career fair! As your friends and family to look at it. If you can, have the Amica Career Center edit your resume as well. Make sure there are no typos or errors!

#3. DO NOT come unprepared. Find the list of companies on the Amica website and research the companies you want to talk to. Prepare some questions to ask the recruiters and they will definitely be impressed by how interested you are in their company.

#4. DO make plenty of copies of your resumes – and a pen! You will be handing out many resumes and you don’t want to run out.

#5. DO prepare an “elevator pitch” about yourself. An e-pitch is a 60 second summary of who you are and the skills you can bring to a company. Be confident and enthusiastic!

#6. DO NOT forget who you talked to! Make sure to grab business cards and reconnect to the people you meet through LinkedIn. Also, definitely send a thank you email to the recruiter for taking the time to talk to you and even mention something you talked about – this will help you stand out from the others!

#7. DO practice answering questions about school, work, experience, skills, and leadership. These are typical questions to be asked so practice them with a friend!

#8. DO NOT bring food, drink, gum, or candy to the career fair.

#9. DO NOT act too casually with the recruiters! Treat this time like a job interview and keep the conversation professional. Your first impression will be the one that sticks with them!

#10. DO take notes in the company directory! Jot down things that you talked about, positions available, and other important information. Also DO NOT leave the directory at the career fair.