A Complete Guide to Taking Care of your Girlfriends on the Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

With all the recent news about the young woman missing from UVA, it is super important to make sure you and your friends are taking care of each other during a night out. Anything could happen to you anywhere, at any time. Don’t be naive! The worst thing that could happen is you thinking your friend will find her way home, but never does. Here is HC Bryant’s rules on making sure your friends stay safe.

1. Always stay with at least 1 girlfriend! The buddy system is highly recommended. If you are at a crowded bar, hang on tight to your roomie or girlfriend, because you don’t want to get separated.

2. When she thinks she needs another shot and you know she doesn’t, CONVICE HER OTHERWISE! When we’re drinking, we don’t see a problem with just having one more shot. But if you are a good girlfriend, you know what your friends’ limits are. It is not worth it.

3. Keep the random guys to a minimum. There is nothing wrong with making new friends and talking to guys at the bar, but once things start to seem out of the ordinary, leave the situation completely. Granted, our judgment is heavily skewed when we are drinking. However, it is so easy to say to your girl, “Can you please come to the bathroom with me?” and get her out of a potentially dangerous situation.

4. Make sure you eat before you drink! Girls tend to purposely not eat before they start drinking on the weekend so that they will “look skinny”. This is dumb- make sure your girlfriends at least line their stomach with         something or you’ll be holding their hair back later on in the night.

5. Don’t let your friends accept too many drinks from guys you don’t know! The stories you hear are true, people get roofied and it is not pretty for anyone. It is not worth getting a free drink!

6. Make sure you leave together! Even if you do get split up at the bar, we have cell phones for this reason. Pick a common spot and time to meet up with her and catch a cab together. No man left behind.

7. If you do not come home together, call her or text her until you reach her! If you can’t reach her, report it to the police IMMEDIATLEY. Waiting a whole day to contact authorities allows more time for something bad to happen to your friend.

8. And most importantly… HAVE FUN! Your girlfriends are your soul mates and you need each other. Be a good friend. Don’t do anything you wouldn’t want someone to do you.