Bringing Boyfriend Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Now that Turkey Day has passed and snow has begun to fall, we know it’s that time of year again… The Holidays! Not only does this mean returning to delicious home cooked meals and everything cozy and wonderful about your favorite holiday, but also the dreaded question asked by every nosy relative that you encounter: “Where’s your boyfriend?!”

Lucky you, this year you can show him off before a syllable even leaves their lips.

This Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza, if you’re planning on bringing your boyfriend home, there are a few things you should keep in mind.

Remember to thank your parents (and anyone who invites your beau along for holiday festivities).  If you are a college gal who lives away from home, your parents probably don’t see enough of you.  They are allowing a non-family member to steal some of their time with you all for the benefit of your happiness! That deserves some appreciation.

Keep your alcohol intake in check.  This goes for you and your boyfriend.  First impressions are everything and while you may be tempted to kill some nerves and knock back a few more drinks than you usually do at family gatherings, this could lead to some regrettable behavior in front of any judgmental relatives.

Be extra welcoming and including. Remember that he is giving up being home with his family to spend time at the holidays with yours.  He might need a little more welcoming to feel festive and comfortable.  Don’t forget to show him your favorite traditions so that he can join in!

PDA- Don’t do it.  While it’s fine to steal a kiss under some mistletoe and put a hand on his knee in conversation, it will be a much more tasteful family get together if Grammy doesn’t see you sitting on your man’s lap with his arm around your waist.

PREPARE HIM.  Make sure to let your guy know what he is walking into.  Is your family really closed off to new people? Maybe your Aunt Rosa likes to start fights at the dinner table.  He will definitely appreciate a little heads up. Give him a few conversation starters.  Who knows, maybe he will end up next to your uncle at the table and wouldn’t it be nice for him to ask about his unbelievable record collection? Also be sure to mention what topics are off limits. Maybe your family doesn’t know about your new belly button piercing, and Christmas dinner would be a really bad time for your mom to find out? Lastly, reassure him! Let him know that of course your family will like him; after all, you do!

PREPARE YOURSELF. Know that no one is perfect- not even your crazy lovable family.  If it doesn’t go as well as planned, don’t sweat it! At the end of the day, your opinion is the one that matters most. Remember to be yourself! You will impress everyone by being happy and the girl they know and love.