nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Things You Do NOT Miss About School While on Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

While there are many things we miss about college while we’re on spring break (friends, parties, the freedoms of college life), there are so many things we definitely do not miss about school while we are home. As spring break comes to a close, and the second half of spring semester begins, Her Campus took the time to reflect on some of our favorite things about home, and nine things we do not miss about school when we’re not here!

1. Workload

This one is pretty obvious, because who enjoys the overwhelming amount of work we get on a weekly basis? One of the many beautiful things about break is taking time off from academics and getting to relax a little bit. There is no better feeling than being free from school work while we’re on break.

2. Showers

What could be better than being able to shower barefoot in the comfort of your own home? Absolutely nothing. While college showers are not nearly as gross as some say, there’s something about sharing it with 10+ other girls/guys, having to wear shoes, and always having subpar water pressure that makes college showers a little less than appealing. Plus, when you’re home, you get to sing in the shower AND hang out in your towel in the bathroom for as long as you want: WIN/WIN.

3. Food

Anything that is mass produced to be put in a college dining hall doesn’t exactly scream “high quality cuisine.” Home cooked meals are just so much better, and we all know that there’s really no comparison. When we’re home, the last thing we’re looking forward to when coming back to school is returning to the dining hall food, which is why we savor every last bite of our meals at home.

4. Seeing unwanted people around campus

The beauty of being home on break is that you have the chance to see all of the people you actually want to see. You get to catch up with friends you’ve missed, see your family. Most importantly though, you don’t walk around your town and see that weird guy from the frat last Friday night, or that girl in your economics class who has not done any of the group project. You are temporarily free from awkward encounters on campus, which we definitely do not miss while we’re home.

5. Noisy neighbors

While seeing unwanted classmates is rough, they’re nothing compared to annoying neighbors. Whether they play their music too loud, are constantly screaming, or for some reason are always very energetic at 2 a.m. the night before an exam, we can all agree noisy neighbors are the worst. When we’re home, we can finally get a good night’s sleep AND not have to worry about our neighbors waking us up at 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning!

6. Feeling sick

Is it just us, or does everyone else feel slightly sick at school 24/7, too? It seems like everyone has some degree of a cold all semester, whatever season it may be. No matter how hard you try, somehow whatever sickness is being passed around campus finds its way into your friend group. When you’re home, everything feels cleaner and you finally feel healthy, even if it’s only for a couple of days.

7. Morning classes

Does anyone even like 8 a.m. classes? Even morning people can agree that waking up for an early class is one of the biggest struggles. In all honesty, 9 a.m. classes are not much better! During break you get to sleep in and are able to leisurely wake up and go about your day, instead of being abruptly woken up by a beeping alarm reminding you that classes start fairly soon.

8. Being broke

The stereotypical “broke college student” is a sad reality we all face during the school year. Even if we have jobs during the semester, we don’t get nearly enough money to support our spending habits of going out, getting food, and other various things we buy while at school. At home, you might be lucky enough to get hours at your local job and be able to add even the slightest bit of money back to your bank account.

9. Beds

No matter how many mattress pads you have, there is no way that your dorm room bed is comfier than your bed at home. Our beds at school are literally plastic mattresses with inches of foam on top, but at home we are blessed with REAL, comfortable mattresses. Sleeping at home is practically a luxury in comparison to sleeping at school, which is why we enjoy every moment of laying in our comfy beds!

While we love being at school, there’s certainly some things that are so much better at home. But have no fear collegiettes, because summer is near, and you can enjoy all the amenities you have at home for three whole months.

Bring on the second half of spring semester!

Self-Declared Pizza Connoisseur & Designated Champagne Popper