9 Cheap Grab Gift Ideas for Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Alright college students, it’s time to look at how much money is in your bank account and cry because we are officially in the holiday season. Before you know it, we’ll be roasting chestnuts instead of turkey so you should probably start your holiday shopping as soon as possible. We at Her Campus know how hard it is to get gifts for everyone on your list, so we compiled a list to help you get started for the perfect round of presents for your friends, all between $5-$10.

1. Fuzzy socks (of course)

Who doesn’t love fuzzy socks?! On top of being cheap, they’re always a welcomed gift. Fuzzy socks are available everywhere and range from around $2 to $5. Target has a particularly large selection with a bunch of cute patterns, too!

2. Candy

This is super easy. Pick up a mixed variety bag of candy from a place like Five Below or The Dollar Tree, maybe scoop some seasonal candy bags, and voila! Throw in some Lindor Truffles to add that “elegance” factor you’re missing and they won’t even realize they got a party favor as a present.

3. “Personality Underwear”

This idea deserves credit where it is due because it is brilliant. Thank you Brianna Sutherland. Victoria’s Secret and Pink always have deals that are along the lines of “5 pairs for $27.50” “7 pairs for $27” and so on. If you are in a suite, or have a group of friends you need to get presents for, why not pay around $30 and get them each something they will definitely appreciate? The best part: you pick the underwear based on the person’s personality, which will definitely ensure a laugh or two.

4. Shot glasses/stemless wine glasses

Always applicable, always appreciated, always affordable. Get seasonal with it and check amazon or target for sets, they usually come in packs ranging from 4-6 items!

5. Baked goods!

Everyone loves cookies, especially holiday cookies. Grab a few different mixes for different cookies; party favorites include the peanut butter blossom cookies with Hershey kisses on top and Pillsbury sugar cookies with holiday pictures.

6. Cute ornaments

This is also super easy because ornaments are in abundance everywhere around this time. CVS has a particularly good selection but this also a good search for Amazon, which has everything you could possibly need. Get that cute Mickey Mouse ornament for your Disney-loving friend or maybe a wine glass one for that friend who loves their RosThey’ll appreciate the thoughtfulness of this one! Bonus: this is also a great one for parents if you get them one with your school on it.

7. Picture frame + picture

Super easy and super cute. Plain frames are available for around $5 on amazon and picture printing is made easy by CVS. Pictures that are 4×6 are can be printed for 29 cents and their app lets you upload these pictures either right from your phone or from Facebook!

8. Adult coloring books

You loved them when you were five but, hey, they’re back and you love them even more. Coloring books are great for relaxation — coloring has meditative effects and makes a perfect gift for any college student. These books start at $4 on Amazon!

9. Candles

Candles can be super cheap and make for a good alternative to Febreeze. They’re relaxing and create a great ambience, a good way to liven up your friends’ dorm rooms. Also, we all know the room gets smelly every so often. Whether from the trash not being taken out or odors lingering from laundry, it happens.

Ana Deacon

Bryant '18

*Insert lyrics to "All Star" by Smash Mouth* Bryant University Class of 2019