3 Pinterest Lunches We Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Pinterest makes making breakfast, lunch, and dinner creative, fun, delicious, and sometimes even cheap!  Below are three of our staff’s absolute favorite Pinterest recipes.  The chimichangas will melt in your mouth, the tuna cups are perfect for a quick snack for a girls night, and the tomatoe & mozz may even taste better than Panera’s.  If you don’t believe me, make each of these for yourself.  Bon appetit!

Oven-Baked Chimichangas

Ingredients

• 1-½ pound Ground Turkey ( Or Chicken)
  • 1 package Taco Seasoning (1.25 Oz)
  • 1-¼ cup Water
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
  • 2 teaspoons Chopped Fresh Oregano
  • 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro
  • 1 can Fire-roasted Green Chiles (7 Oz.)
  • ½ cups Diced Fresh Tomatoes
  • 2 Chopped Green Onions
  • ½ cups Low Fat Sour Cream
  • ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
  • 6 Flour Tortillas (burrito Sized / Large)
  • ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (to Melt On Top)
  • GARNISH: Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cheese, Guacamole, Salsa, Sour Cream

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Saute poultry until cooked through and starting to brown.
  • Add taco seasoning and stir.
  • Add water and stir.
  • Over med – low heat cook until liquid has reduced 2/3.
  • Add cumin, oregano, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes and green onions.
  • Simmer until the rest of the liquid has evaporated.
  • Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
  • Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
  • Lay tortillas on wax paper and brush both sides with the melted butter.
  • Spoon 1/6 th of filling into center of tortilla and fold like and envelope.
  • Put tortillas, seam-side down on a non-stick sheet pan. Spaced so they DO NOT touch.
  • Bake 20 -25 minutes or until golden and crisp.
  • Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven to melt.
  • Serve with the garnishes.

Cucumber Cups

Ingredients

• 2 cucumbers
  • 2 cans of tunas

Instructions

• Wash and cut the cucmber in about 1-1.5 inch thich slices
  • Take a spoon and scoop out the cucumber in each cucumber slice to form a “bowl”
  • Drain the tuna and scoop it into the cucmber bowls
  • Enjoy!

Tomatoe & Mozz Paninis for Two!

Ingredients

• 8 slices rye bread
  • 4 quarter-inch slices of fresh mozzarella
  • 3 plum tomatoes, cut into thick slices
  • 1 cup fresh basil pesto, recipe follows (or use the store-bought stuff)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Extra-virgin olive oil 

Basil pesto:

• 1/2 cup pine nuts
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions

• Toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Combine pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined but still rough-textured.
  • If you have a panini press, turn it on to warm up; otherwise, set a skillet over medium heat. 
  • Assemble sandwich by smearing insides of bread slices with pesto. Arrange a layer of sliced tomato and season with a few turns of fresh pepper. Layer the mozzarella slices over the top and then place another piece of bread on top to make the sandwich.
  • Drizzle olive oil over skillet’s surface and place sandwiches on the hot skillet or panini press. If using a skillet, place another heavy skillet over the top to form a “press”. Turn after 2 to 3 minutes and replace weight. The sandwich is ready when golden brown and mozzarella has melted around the edges.
Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.
Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.