sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things that Happen During Every Easter Egg Hunt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We all remember Easter egg hunts as children. They involved us grabbing our little baskets and excitedly running around the house or yard with our siblings or cousins.

There was a mad dash to consume as much candy as possible, and in the end we all traded our favorite candy bars with each other. While you might have been pretty upset when cousin Suzy got the last Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup, it was all in good fun.  

As adults, Easter doesn’t have quite the same effect. While as children we reveled in the idea of overdosing on candy,

as adults we have to face the reality that we can’t afford an entirely new wardrobe when we start busting out of our jeans.

One fun Easter tradition to carry into adulthood is the Easter egg hunt. But beware: hunting for Easter eggs as an adult is a whole new ballgame. Gone are the lighthearted days of helping the youngest sibling find their share of eggs. Whether you’re searching for candy or money, this can get pretty competitive. It’s every collegiette for herself out there. 

These 10 things are bound to happen during every Easter egg hunt:

1. As soon as the hunt begins, everyone will start running around like crazy people. You’ll probably get pushed out of the way by a cousin or two.
  2. Someone will lose or break their shoe. Avoid this by wearing sensible shoes, or you’ll be cursing your fashionable yet impractical choice of sandals.
  3. An alliance will be made between you and your favorite cousin, which you will promptly break as soon as she starts to fall behind.
  4. The baby of the family will start whining that the competition isn’t fair because his/her legs aren’t as long. 
  5. The oldest sibling will be seen as the biggest threat, and will probably take things way too seriously.
  6. You’ll end up running towards a rock that totally looked like an egg from far away.
  7. Your parents or grandparents will start yelling at everyone to “play nicely.”
  8. Someone will dive for the same egg as you, and you’ll end up wrestling WWE style until there is a clear winner. 
  9. Whoever earns the most candy and/ or money will start bragging about their egg hunting skills.
  10. Everyone else will bitterly start strategizing a game plan for next year.