Staying Safe on Spring Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

TOP 10 SAFETY TIPS

1) If you are concerned about the health or safety of anyone, CALL DPS/EMS at 401-863-4111.

2) Keep your eyes open and take notice of incidents or individuals which seem out of the ordinary or dangerous. Report any suspicious behavior IMMEDIATELY by calling DPS at 401-863-4111.

3) Do NOT prop doors.  Propped doors invite theft, vandalism, and unwanted guests.

4) Keep your residence hall room LOCKED at all times to reduce the risk of theft and assault.

5) If you choose to drink, eat before you do so and drink water to avoid dehydration (unless you are vomiting, as water may exacerbate the situation).

6) Avoid combining alcohol and caffeine.  People drink more and have higher blood alcohol levels when these are combined.

7) Do not leave your drinks unattended (with or without alcohol). Be wary of drinking anything that you have not opened or seen poured for you.

8) Travel with others, especially at night.

9) Go to events together and leave together! You and your friends will be safer if you watch out for one another.

10) Use the Safe Ride and Safewalk.

Ask for help!  University Administrators, Department of Public Safety officers, EMS foot patrols, student event organizers, and your Residential Peer Leaders are available – don’t hesitate to use these resources!

IMPORTANT EVENTS AND ACTIVITY INFORMATION 

• Carry your Brown ID at all times (many events require it). 
  • End your year on a positive note — have fun but remember that University policies and standards still apply.
  • Leave bags and containers at home (most events prohibit them).
  • Intoxicated individuals will not be admitted to events. If you choose to drink, do so in moderation.
  • Reentry is prohibited at the two major Spring Concerts and at many other events. Please keep this in mind.
  • Open containers of alcohol are not permitted in public.
  • Drinking apparatus and drinking games are prohibited on campus.
  • You must be 21 years of age to drink alcoholic beverages.
  • Smoking is not permitted inside buildings or within 50 feet of an entrance to a University building — meaning that smoking is prohibited at almost all Spring Weekend events.
  • We encourage students to enjoy the weekend but that does not mean leaving a mess for others to clean up!  Please show courtesy to community members and pick up after yourself.
  • No impromptu events are permitted. All events must have been previously registered with the Student Activities Office.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please don’t hesitate to contact the Student Activities Office at 401 – 863-2341, the Office of Student Life at 401-863-3145, or Health Education at 401- 863-2794.

USEFUL PHONE NUMBERS

Dept. of Public Safety                          401-863-3322
Brown EMS                                        401-863-4111
Saferide                                             401-863-1778
Safewalk                                            401-863-1079
University Health Services                    401-863-3953
24 Hour Nurses Line                            401-863-1330
Sexual Assault Response Line             401-863-6000
Dept. of Facilities                                401-863-7800

Have a fun and safe weekend.
The Offices of Student Activities, Student Life, Residential Life, and Health Education

Luisa Robledo and Haruka Aoki instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.