Staying Healthy in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Exercise:
Fitting exercise into your busy college schedule can be difficult, but our campus makes it relatively easy for students to get exercise. If you’re bored of your regular gym regimen, find ways to mix it up with Brown’s Group Fitness Pass! It gives you unlimited access to a fantastic selection of aerobic, fitness and mind/body classes. Classes include Cardio Blast, Body Sculpt, Zumba and Vinyasa Yoga. 305 Fitness at Hillel is another fun and physical way to stay fit. Yoga, tai chi or qigong are excellent ways of melting away built-up stress by combining deep breathing with stretching and movement and can be done easily in your room.
Trying something new will work your body and cardiovascular system in a different way from your regular workout, yielding more noticeable results. Regular physical activity controls weight and combats diseases. It can improve your overall mood, stamina and sex life. How many more reasons do you need to get moving?
If you’re not feeling a walk to the OMAC or the nearest gym, incorporate physical fitness into your daily routine – walk or bike to class, dance on a night out, or clean your room to your favorite album.

A Healthy Diet:
Eating right is vital to staying healthy. As with exercise, a healthy diet controls weight and boosts your immune system. Try to always eat breakfast – grabbing a granola bar or a piece of fruit before running out the door goes a long way in keeping you active and preventing you from overeating throughout the day. Indulge on treats but also make an effort to maintain a balanced diet; keep things like pre-cut vegetables, fruit, nuts and cheese in your fridge.

Chug Water:
Drink plenty of water every day. Dehydration makes you more vulnerable to getting sick and feeling tired. By the time you notice you’re thirsty, you’re likely to already be dehydrated – try not to get to that point and down liquids throughout the day.

Sleep:
Sleep deprivation can lead to reduced brain function, fatigue, headaches and weight loss or gain. All-nighters and staying out until 3a.m. are often a big part of the college experience, but try not to overdo it. As college students you need an ideal seven to nine hours of sleep per night, and getting these hours can greatly improve your day-to-day life.

Flu Shots:
Avoid getting behind in classes by getting immunized this fall! Brown Health Services offers the flu shot. This is especially important for students living in close quarters with roommates and classmates.

Have fun:
A good work/life balance is essential to your college experience. Relaxing and having downtime is crucial to your happiness and healthiness. Stress can aversely affect your health and the easiest way to relax is to create a routine that gives you regular breaks. We’re here to take advantage of the academic and extracurricular resources available to us, but we’re also here to party, make memories and have fun; go for a walk, watch your favorite television show, and hang out with your friends!