Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Features

The Best Sport Ever

By Aubrey McDonough
October 29, 2014 - 3:21pm

About seven months ago, I was sitting in a freshman lounge doing reading for my religion class (read: obsessively stalking this girl from high school on Facebook), when my friend turned to me and said something that changed my life: “You should try out for frisbee.” Okay, you’re probably laughing. I’m even chuckling to myself as I write this. Either that, or you’re incredibly skeptical, or you’re thinking I’m just being dramatic. And I might be. Maybe I wouldn’t label that moment as one of the most drastic happenings in my entire life, but I stand by the fact that it made me realize something pretty cool I hadn’t known before.   READ MORE

Get Everything You Need to Know about Law School at the LSAC Law School Forum

By Brown Contributor
October 29, 2014 - 12:03pm

Figuring out what you want to do after college can be stressful, especially when you are trying to decide between a ton of options! Since you’re all ambitious, proactive collegiettes, we know that you’ve already joined the clubs, landed the internships and done the research to try and narrow down the opportunities. If you plan on going to law school, or have even toyed with the idea of law school, we have another research opportunity for you. Every year, the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) hosts Law School Forums across the country, and you have the chance to attend one in Boston this month! READ MORE

Battle Hymn of the Wise Fools

By Julianna Bradley
September 20, 2014 - 2:24pm

The sophomore slump is nothing new. It’s talked about, dreaded, and avoided like the Ratty whenever it makes fish. The sophomore slump hits when you no longer have the gusto to make new friends, do any school work, and every attempt to go to the gym ends in a 3 hour long nap. I don’t really believe in this said slump. But then again I’ve been a sophomore for, like what, 2 weeks? READ MORE

Why Autumn is Undeniably the Best Season

By Devon Nir
September 18, 2014 - 2:29pm

I’ll admit it—I had my doubts about the fall.   Growing up, I was always a big advocate for winter. I believed that surely between snowfall, hot chocolate, and warm fireplaces, winter was the undisputed champion when it came to the four seasons. Sure, I would concede, summer had its perks: the beach, the free time, and the barbecues. But those delights were nothing compared to the majestic joy of the holiday season and the thrill of making a perfect snow angel.   READ MORE

How To: Grocery Shopping for Smart Collegiates

By caitlinmeuser
September 14, 2014 - 10:35am

It turns out that being completely off meal plan is a scary reality to face. It means no more late night trips to Jo’s, no take-out from the Ratty to power you through a difficult midterm paper, and no more grabbing muffins from the Blue Room before a morning class. However, while being off meal plan means you can no longer get a spicy with and a side of mozzarella sticks any time you want, it also means that you can be completely in control of what you’re eating. You no longer have to worry if the Ratty and the Vdub’s dinner options both seem lacking. Instead, you can eat what you want… provided you had enough foresight to stock your fridge with all the necessary ingredients.   READ MORE...

Jess and Rachel Take On the World

By Devon Nir
June 10, 2014 - 8:13pm

Last month, Brown University said goodbye to the class of 2014 as the eager, enthusiastic graduates accepted their diplomas and readied themselves to enter the infamous “real world.” These former students will scatter across the globe in search of their next step, whether it be finding suitable employment right here in Providence or exploring an unfamiliar city in an entirely different continent.     READ MORE

Spring Weekend 2014: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

By Devon Nir
April 19, 2014 - 12:00am

Spring weekend has come and gone, and though some are probably still recovering from a nasty hangover, campus is just about back to its old self again. The three-day event was indeed legendary, featuring artists such as Chance the Rapper, Diplo, Lauryn Hill, and Andrew Bird (not to mention Binder!). It was absolutely incredible to see such a unique, diverse collection of students throw on tank tops and come together to enjoy some music and the company of others. Here’s to you, Brown.   But, now that the festivities have come to a close, it’s time to go all Joan Rivers and talk about the bests and worsts that the weekend had to offer. It’s true that overall it was a Spring Weekend to remember, but perhaps there are some details worth forgetting.  ...

Art for the Fun of It

By caitlinmeuser
April 13, 2014 - 12:00am

It is a fact that our society values productivity. As cogs in the wheel of the capitalist market, we as citizens are supposed to be producing and consuming at a steady rate. We are supposed to use our free time to learn and create new things, to create things of value that can be used to make a profit. But what happens when we want to create something just for the fun of it? READ MORE

The Intersection of Poetry and Opera

By caitlinmeuser
March 21, 2014 - 12:00am

This past weekend I had to pleasure of experiencing Brown Opera Productions’ first showing of Hydrogen Jukebox. This opera is based off the beat poet Allen Ginsberg’s works, and the title Hydrogen Jukebox is taken from Ginsberg’s famous poem “Howl”. All the songs in the opera are just Ginsberg’s poems set to music, yet Ginsberg did not write these poems together in the hopes that they would become an opera. Instead, the composer, Philip Glass, witnessed a reading by Ginsberg and was so inspired by the poet’s work that he felt the need to take some of his favorite Ginsberg’s poems and set them to an opera style of music. This creates for a show that has no distinct narrative, as Ginsberg did not mean to have these poems performed together....

A (Musical) Blast From the Past

By Devon Nir
March 19, 2014 - 12:00am

If you were anything like me, you spent most of the early to mid 2000s jamming out to some exceptionally dorky (yet undeniable catchy) tunes. You had your calendar marked for Hilary Duff’s next album release and would proudly sing along to anything by the Click Five. Your most prized possession was your Jonas Brothers tote bag and watching High School Musical when it came on Disney Channel was not merely an option, but a necessity.   READ MORE