Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown News

Jess and Rachel Take On the World

By Devon Nir
June 10, 2014 - 8:13pm

Last month, Brown University said goodbye to the class of 2014 as the eager, enthusiastic graduates accepted their diplomas and readied themselves to enter the infamous “real world.” These former students will scatter across the globe in search of their next step, whether it be finding suitable employment right here in Providence or exploring an unfamiliar city in an entirely different continent.     READ MORE

Spring Weekend 2014: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

By Devon Nir
April 19, 2014 - 12:00am

Spring weekend has come and gone, and though some are probably still recovering from a nasty hangover, campus is just about back to its old self again. The three-day event was indeed legendary, featuring artists such as Chance the Rapper, Diplo, Lauryn Hill, and Andrew Bird (not to mention Binder!). It was absolutely incredible to see such a unique, diverse collection of students throw on tank tops and come together to enjoy some music and the company of others. Here’s to you, Brown.   But, now that the festivities have come to a close, it’s time to go all Joan Rivers and talk about the bests and worsts that the weekend had to offer. It’s true that overall it was a Spring Weekend to remember, but perhaps there are some details worth forgetting.  ...

Art for the Fun of It

By caitlinmeuser
April 13, 2014 - 12:00am

It is a fact that our society values productivity. As cogs in the wheel of the capitalist market, we as citizens are supposed to be producing and consuming at a steady rate. We are supposed to use our free time to learn and create new things, to create things of value that can be used to make a profit. But what happens when we want to create something just for the fun of it? READ MORE

The Intersection of Poetry and Opera

By caitlinmeuser
March 21, 2014 - 12:00am

This past weekend I had to pleasure of experiencing Brown Opera Productions’ first showing of Hydrogen Jukebox. This opera is based off the beat poet Allen Ginsberg’s works, and the title Hydrogen Jukebox is taken from Ginsberg’s famous poem “Howl”. All the songs in the opera are just Ginsberg’s poems set to music, yet Ginsberg did not write these poems together in the hopes that they would become an opera. Instead, the composer, Philip Glass, witnessed a reading by Ginsberg and was so inspired by the poet’s work that he felt the need to take some of his favorite Ginsberg’s poems and set them to an opera style of music. This creates for a show that has no distinct narrative, as Ginsberg did not mean to have these poems performed together....

A (Musical) Blast From the Past

By Devon Nir
March 19, 2014 - 12:00am

If you were anything like me, you spent most of the early to mid 2000s jamming out to some exceptionally dorky (yet undeniable catchy) tunes. You had your calendar marked for Hilary Duff’s next album release and would proudly sing along to anything by the Click Five. Your most prized possession was your Jonas Brothers tote bag and watching High School Musical when it came on Disney Channel was not merely an option, but a necessity.   READ MORE

Women in Film

By caitlinmeuser
March 9, 2014 - 10:26pm

A recent study was released this week that found a disturbing gender gap when it came to the films nominated for this year’s Academy Awards.  The men nominated for best actor in a leading role averaged 85 minutes of screen time while the women nominated for best actress in a leading role averaged only 57 minutes of screen time. This trend continues when supporting actors and actresses are considered. If you factor in supporting roles, then men spend an average 59 minutes on screen while women average 42 minutes. While this is only a 17-minute difference, it demonstrates the male-dominated nature of the silver screen.   READ MORE

Call Me Crazy

By Julianna Bradley
March 9, 2014 - 12:00am

Girls are bizarre. We make absolutely no sense. One moment we’re dancing in front of the mirror to some nameless Taylor Swift song and the next we’re face down on the floor contemplating the meaning of life. Girls are strange, unpredictable, volatile—but not crazy.  READ MORE

Alex and Ani Bracelets (A.K.A.: How To Spot A Girl From New England)

By Devon Nir
March 8, 2014 - 12:00am

Look familiar? Perhaps you’ve seen these delicate bangles stacked up the arm of the girl next to you in class or displayed in the jewelry department at Nordstrom. These bracelets are the product of a company called Alex and Ani, founded in 2004 by Carolyn Rafaelian right here in Rhode Island. Since its establishment, Alex and Ani has rapidly expanded and flourished, recently being named one of the top 100 fastest growing companies in the United States by American business magazine Inc.   READ MORE

Racism in the 21st Century: University of Mississippi

By jessicamontes
March 6, 2014 - 12:00am

Sigma Phi Epsilon, a fraternity at the University of Mississippi, was suspended Friday by it’s national chapter. A noose was put around the neck of the statue on campus of James Meredith, the first black student to enroll in the then all-white college. There was also a Georgia flag containing a confederate emblem found.   Following this incident, the fraternity expelled three of its freshman members and turned their identities over to the police. The vandalism of the statue could result in federal charges. The university plans to take disciplinary action through a judicial panel.   READ MORE

What A Rush!

By Devon Nir
February 17, 2014 - 12:00am

I had no intention of rushing when I enrolled at Brown. To me, “Greek life” was merely a way to indicate a preference for Oikos yogurt. The idea of referring to peers as “sisters” and manipulating limbs to resemble the Greek alphabet seemed somewhat ludicrous.  I had seen enough of ABC Family’s (tragically canceled) Greek to decide that sorority life was not for me.
      READ MORE