Love the Skirt You’re In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

In my hometown of Tucson, Arizona, we have two kinds of weather: refreshingly brisk and unbearably hot. But still, we break out the winter coats when it drops below 60.

At home, I’m considered hardy. My wardrobe remains consistent regardless of the weather. So much so that for an entire year I did not once wear pants to school. Leggings, yes. Shorts, why not? Skirts…Is there anything else in life?

So when friends at home heard I was venturing north for college, they scoffed and assumed I would learn my lesson and change my ways. I assumed the same. I fretted for a semester over how I would survive the inhospitable northern winter. I wore a dress with no tights one blustery November day, and my classmates looked at me as if I’d lost my mind. I went home for winter break thinking I’d have to make the change I’d been dreading when I came back in January.

Not so much. The past week has been a learning process in how to adjust my cardigan-and-high- waisted-skirt-filled closet to lows of -4 degrees and five-foot snowdrifts.

My first step was to change my footwear. After a fall semester wearing only ballet flats, I went home and found a pair of snow boots in my size at a second-hand store. Those boots have changed walking for me. Where I used to mince, now I proudly stomp. Where my soles used to make a prissy clatter going up the stairs of J. Walter Wilson, now they sound out the satisfying clomp of a woman on a mission.

With feet successfully shod, I learned to layer. On warmer days, leggings under skirts will suffice. For particularly cold spells, I don an extra layer of wool tights. On top, it’s my navy pea coat and a sweatshirt or fleece over my beloved but flimsy sweaters.

And so, as long as I haven’t somehow jinxed myself, I am set for the winter. I feel a sense of accomplishment, but also like I’m somehow cheating the system. Most of all, I feel like if I could move to a climate 50 degrees colder than home and still keep my sense of style, what can’t I achieve?

Haruka Aoki and Luisa Robledo instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.