Hidden Gems of Providence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Amy’s on Wickenden

The only thing that can justify an 11:30 am phone call on a Sunday morning is… Brunch. Eggs, smoothies, and free coffee refills? If that’s not enough for you to roll out of bed, slip on your shower slippers, before you head out with your sunglasses to Amy’s on Wickenden—well… we’ll try again at noon.

Amy’s on Wickenden is the perfect venue for any girl’s private post-night-out debrief with her closest girls, or simply for an invigorating start of the day. The walk down to Wickenden Street is the starter for your glorious brunch—giggling and catching up with your girls down the most peaceful street around here.

At Amy’s, you could go for the classic: eggs, any style, with toast, home fries and bacon, or if you’re feeling guilty about some illicit snacks you may have had the night before, there’s the light and easy choice of egg whites, fruit, and dry toast. What truly makes Amy’s the perfect brunch spot though, is the cozy place itself— its walls filled with children’s drawings, the garden patio, the wide windows with a view of a wall covered in ivy that you can see change every fall weekend, from green to red to yellow. While you wait for your eggs, (it might take a bit, since your eggs are being made right in the same room in a small open kitchen, by the nicest and friendliest people) you can get right back to girl-talk, over your smoothie—the Whuddaberry.

Amy’s Place
214 Wickenden Street
Providence, RI 02903

Los Andes

Brunch is over, now it’s time for dinner— and boys are now invited. Los Andes serves authentic Peruvian cuisine in generous portions (it’s mainly meat, so the boys will be happy!) The extensive selection on their menu includes a classic ceviche, egg-meat-and-rice combinations, fried plantains, and their current special is the half-pound lobster in a paella. For a drink, we recommend the Pisco Sour, which is a classic Peruvian Cocktail, a fusion of Pisco, a healthy measure of lime juice, a dash of bitters, a sprinkle of sugar, egg whit foam, served in a sugar rimmed glass with a touch of cinnamon and a lime wedge garnish. Thankfully, Los Andes is a steal for the portions and quality of service, so you don’t have to save this place for the next parents’ weekend!

Los Andes
903 Chalkstone Avenue
Providence, RI 02908