Editors’ Note (May 8, 2011): To be, or not to be?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

In the most histrionic manner,
 Shakespeare framed the power of indecision in Hamlet. The Prince of Denmark spends most of the play questioning himself, his actions and their consequences instead of actually executing them. To some people, making a choice is an excruciatingly hard task. They mull over the different paths they can take, the different scenarios instead of having a Dead Poet’s Society moment and “seizing the day.”

Of course, with decisions there is always a 50 percent chance that you will make a horrendous mistake and regret your choice. But when did losing a battle, making a mistake become so irreparable that we’d rather live without making choices? Being passive and allowing others to choose for us is comfortable but absolutely ridiculous. Making wring decisions is part of life — they are probably the ones that shape us the most and teach us how to become more integral beings. There is nothing more limiting and constraining than living with a perpetual unanswered question in our heads. If we are constantly trying to figure out what the best decision is, then we miss out on those moments that happen purely by chance or because an impulse conquered all rationality.

Yes, it’s worth pausing and thinking before acting, but only a coward surrenders to a dilemma. So, next time you face a choice, make it and stick to it. Whether the outcome is good or bad, at least you’ll know you’re not a bystander in your own story.

HC love,

Luisa & Haruka  

Luisa Robledo and Haruka Aoki instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.