A Different Kind of Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

After months of anticipating a real college spring break with crowded beaches, fruity cocktails, bad tan lines, and unforgettable memories, my plan fell apart and I found myself stuck on campus for senior year. Going home was out of the question. It’s not that I don’t want to see my family, I just can’t see myself spending my last spring break in the middle of nowhere with limited food options.

Thinking about home made me see the silver lining. There was still plenty to do in Providence like watching movies at the Providence Place Mall, checking out City Girl Cupcakes (who won this year’s RI Cupcake competition), road trip to Narragansett, and enjoying a nearly empty campus. I may even splurge on a spa day thanks to Groupon and work my way down my senior bucket list: join a random tour group and ask silly questions, enter every single Brown building at least once, try the Sunday brunch at Paragon, etc.

Then there’s Boston a short train ride away and a direct bus to New York City where I’ll be staying with a friend I met last summer during my internship. I probably won’t be sun-kissed afterwards but at the very least I can say “I saw the Book of Mormon b****.” That leaves just enough days for job hunting and homework at a slow and steady pace in between TV marathons and guilt-free naps.