burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cool Weather Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

After a long week of studying my life away in the library, I am all about going out and having a great time. I pull out my best pair of jeans, one of my favorite designated “turn up” shirts, and may even throw some colored lipstick into the mix. In my room, I take one last look in the mirror and head out the door. But, wait! I forgot my coat. Do I really need it? It’s not that cold outside? Actually, I can’t afford to get sick. But, I took a lot of Vitamin C this week? I’ll be fine. Maybe?

This is the dilemma I often face when heading out to a party during these cooler months. I would do anything not to carry around my heavy fall coat. But, what I hate more than carrying a fall coat? Waking up with a nose stuffed up to my brain and a body that feels like it just got hit by a truck. I simply do not have time for illness in my iCalendar. So, after much debate, I usually end up taking my coat and scarf. My immune system and I have to remain top notch.

But, after realizing that I was also terrified stiff of someone stealing the fall coat I hid away somewhere, I started brainstorming some clever ways I could dress for the multitude of temperatures I would experience during the nighttime. So, here it is colligettes! A few tips to follow when you need to beat the howling winds of the outside and the sweaty walls of every frat party!

1. Drink a cup of Emergen-C!

Yes, I know that this is not exactly a fashion tip. But, it is important nonetheless. In order for you to rock campus in every fashionable outfit, turn heads and break necks, you need to be healthy. Fall goes by many names—pumpkin spice lattes, changing leaves, an excuse to buy beautiful boots online. But, it also goes by a much more atrocious name. Flu season. Ladies, we are not here to play games. We are here to get our degrees, thrive, and succeed. Influenza has no place in this plan. So, before you head out, please arm your immune system. Over the loud, bumping music, you will not notice if someone coughs or sneezes right on you. It’s gross to think about. But, that’s the truth. So, run to your nearest convenience store and dress your immune system in a cute layer of protective wear.

2.  Cozy protective wear + Cross Shoulder Bag= Ready for Anything!

Grab your coziest cardigan and place it over your cute outfit. Next, make sure you grab all your essential and place them in your cross shoulder bag. With this collaboration, many beautiful things happen here. Firstly, with your cozy cardigan, you are protected from the cooler elements. Secondly, with your cross shoulder bag, you now have a personal cardigan holder. As soon as you step into your party, you can throw off your cardigan and reveal your bangin’ outfit. Then, just tie the cardigan around the straps of your bag! Voila! Now, you are hands free and can dance the night away without worrying if your coat is still where you left it.

3. Always wear something that covers your entire leg!

Whether it is a bondage skirt with leggings or your favorite pair of jeans, it is imperative to wear something that covers your legs completely. It is an essential tool in surviving the trek to your party. When I decide to go against this rule, the cold weather seems to seep into my bones. It’s a type of freezing that you just can’t seem to shake, even if the basement of the frat house is hotter than the equator. So, if you want to show a little skin, opt for a crop top with something longer to accommodate your legs.

4. Wear a longer shirt with breathable material!

It’s the best of both worlds! With a longer sleeved shirt, you will super ready when the temperature dips. If it is made without stifling elements, your shirt will also be able to withstand the humidity during your night out. Stay away from polyesters and rayon fabrics when shopping for this outfit. Look for a top made out of cotton or a lighter lacier material.

Isabelle is a native New Yorker from Great Neck, Long Island. She is currently a sophomore at Brown University. Throughly in love with medicine and media, she hopes to become a medical correspondent for a major news outlet. When she isn't DJing for 95.5 WBRU or writing for HerCampus, you can find her on the elliptical watching Scandal. Or, in her room watching Scandal. Depends on the day. She also loves the color green, is obsessed with smoothie making, and loves to rep her Haitian heritage.