Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Celebrities

Brown Celebrities…In Their Own Right

By Zoë Henry
November 13, 2012 - 8:00pm

Brown Celebrities…In Their Own Right   Krasinski and Bowen are national celebrities, but some figures are Brown celebrities in their own right. Check out this list of folks who are treasured uniquely by our community:   #1: Ruth Simmons At the inauguration this weekend, the applause for Ruth was louder than Paxson’s. Ruth Simmons is more than a former President: she is a Brunonian icon, an image of everything that we love about our University. (How many of you own a t-shirt with her face on it?) In May, the dance community organized a flash mob in honor of Ruth, choreographed to Beyoncé’s “End of Time”. If that doesn’t speak to her fame, what does?   #2: Wyclef Jean READ MORE

Fame after Brown… Some Faces that We All Know

By Zoë Henry
November 13, 2012 - 7:56pm

For many of us Brunonians, the question: “What are you planning to do with your life?” is the most dreaded and expected. Who of is really ready to leave Brown and enter into the “real world”, where- let’s face it- the economy sucks and (more importantly?) there’s no Jo’s to cap a night out? This week, I decided to profile a handful of Celebs who once tread in our very footsteps. Let these faces alleviate your ‘real world’ anxiety. I’d say these are some pretty incredible success stories. #1: Julie Bowen READ MORE

Top 5 Bond Girls

By Christina Jimenez
October 26, 2012 - 3:21pm

By no mean s am I qualified to make these decisions but I have rounded up a list of the top 5 ‘Bond Girls’ that I have ever seen. Do you agree or disagree with our choices? Let us know in the comments section. READ MORE

Staying Healthy in College

By Tam Jumbala
October 26, 2012 - 3:13pm

Exercise:
Fitting exercise into your busy college schedule can be difficult, but our campus makes it relatively easy for students to get exercise. If you're bored of your regular gym regimen, find ways to mix it up with Brown's Group Fitness Pass! It gives you unlimited access to a fantastic selection of aerobic, fitness and mind/body classes. Classes include Cardio Blast, Body Sculpt, Zumba and Vinyasa Yoga. 305 Fitness at Hillel is another fun and physical way to stay fit. Yoga, tai chi or qigong are excellent ways of melting away built-up stress by combining deep breathing with stretching and movement and can be done easily in your room.
READ MORE

In the Name of Fame

By Sami Isman
October 16, 2012 - 7:25pm

Stage names, pen names, or alter egos, whatever you call them, they all fulfill the same role. These have become quite a common thing in the world of entertainment. Stars use them for various reasons, sometimes the purpose is to be able to do or say something they wouldn’t otherwise be able to, other times it is to hide who they truly are, and yet other times, these simply emerge because their old names weren't flashy or catchy enough. There is always talk about recreating oneself, about using a move to a new city or country or job to become the person we actually wanted to be, and we all need to start somewhere. READ MORE

Hello, Brown!

By Sami Isman
October 12, 2012 - 4:15pm

There are two types of students in the world: those who are excited about the start of fall semester and those who are not. Luckily, we go to a school full of the former category, and most of the time the actual excuse for this is the love we have for Brown and our fellow Brunonians. But as the semester gets going and we begin to slowly drown in papers and exams, we need something to keep us going, and I'm not talking about coffee. Here are some of the things we are most looking forward to about fall semester. READ MORE

Getting to know Cheno Pinter - The ULTIMATE Multi-Tasker

By Olivia del Balzo
May 16, 2012 - 5:27am

What are all of the extra curricular activities you are involved in? The Ursa Minors acapella, ARR!!! the pirate a capella group, writing for the RIB and currently writing and directing Musical Forum's commencement revue (and PR for the Senior Week party?) How do you find the time to balance this and school work? Honestly? By mastering the art of sleeping only when I need to, having extremely helpful, willing and competent friends to run around helping me, and by making sure I talk to my mother a lot. My mother knows how to balance everything, and makes me feel like I have everything under control. How do you prioritize? READ MORE

What is Sexual Assault?

By Noni Wang
April 21, 2012 - 5:14am

Let’s define the term first. According to CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), sexual violence is “any sexual act that is perpetrated against someone’s will.” There are four types of sexual violence: a completed sex act, an attempted (but not completed) sex act, abusive sexual contact (intentional touching either directly or through the clothing), and non-contact sexual abuse like exposing an individual through photographs and verbal harassment. It is important to define the term, because some victims are reluctant to call an incident “rape” if a weapon is not used. 

READ MORE

Chelsea's got a real Handler on things

By Olivia del Balzo
April 15, 2012 - 11:30pm

Crowned one of Vanity Fair’s “Queens of Comedy” and recently dubbed a 2011 “Woman of the Year” by Glamour Magazine, Chelsea Handler is one of the most widely recognisable faces both on and off the television screen. Safe in the knowledge that she has the titles of author, actor, host and comedian tucked under her belt, Handler continues to have an open invitation into the living rooms and onto the bookshelves of a substantial number of homes in the United States and beyond.

READ MORE

No Justice, No Peace

By Helen McDonald
April 7, 2012 - 11:52pm

While many Brown students enjoyed the long anticipated Spring Break resting, relaxing, and finding some peace of mind, Providence citizens gathered to disturb the peace.

On Friday, March 30th, about 50 to 70 people gathered at Central High School for a march in honor of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year old teenager recently shot and killed in Florida. Residents rallied against racial violence in the United States and the lack of justice in the Trayvon Martin case.

READ MORE