Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Blog

Spring Weekend

By Maggie Livingstone
April 16, 2013 - 9:39pm

Spring Weekend Is HERE!   Every year, just before finals, Brown students are treated to a weekend like no other. Spring Weekend is filled with concerts, food, and lots and lots of tank tops. This tradition dates back to 1960, and over the years big names like Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and U2 have serenaded eager (and most times inebriated) Brunonians. The tradition continues this year with headliner Kendrick Lamar Saturday night, considered a rising star in the hip-hop world, and DJ A-Trak on Friday, infamous for his “Barbra Streisand” remix.  Indie synth group The Dirty Projectors and alternative rock band Deerhunter will be opening for Lamar. READ MORE

A Different Kind of Spring Break

By Noni Wang
March 19, 2013 - 5:00pm

After months of anticipating a real college spring break with crowded beaches, fruity cocktails, bad tan lines, and unforgettable memories, my plan fell apart and I found myself stuck on campus for senior year. Going home was out of the question. It’s not that I don’t want to see my family, I just can’t see myself spending my last spring break in the middle of nowhere with limited food options. READ MORE

Shhhh....Best Study Spots on Campus

By Noni Wang
March 17, 2013 - 11:04am

Best Study Spots @ Brown 1. The Fleet Library (aka RISD Library)
Named as one of the most beautiful libraries in the country, this breathtaking library (near Brown) provides both aesthetic pleasure and a quiet atmosphere. Across the hall is a RISD eatery and right outside is a conveniently located Starbucks. Highlights: Architecture, atmosphere, Starbucks
Downside: It’s down the hill...but only a tunnel away. READ MORE

Celebrate with the Irish

By Noni Wang
March 13, 2013 - 3:33pm

With St. Patrick’s Day around the corner, what better way to celebrate than to see the Boston St. Patrick’s Day parade. On Sunday March 17 at 1pm, wear green and line up anywhere from West Broadway to Dorchester Street for kilts and bagpipes, bright-colored floats, ordinary people cheering through the streets, and even the occasional Darth Vader. But the fun doesn’t end there. Walk along the city’s Irish Heritage Trail starting at the Rose Kennedy Garden and ending at John Boyle O’Reilly Memorial. Most importantly, don’t forget to sign up for Saint Paddy’s PubCrawl for endless drinks all day at participating Pubs in Boston.   More Events: March 14th READ MORE

The Importance of Self Defence

By Noni Wang
February 26, 2013 - 10:46am

The Importance of Self-Defense   One in three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime according to Unite To End Violence Against Women, a UN Secretary-General’s Campaign.  Between the ages of 15-44, women are more at risk from rape and domestic violence than from cancer and car accidents.   READ MORE

Halfway

By Tam Jumbala
February 25, 2013 - 6:18pm

READ MORE

Safe Haven: Not Just Another Chick Flick?

By Tam Jumbala
February 25, 2013 - 6:12pm

Safe Haven, the latest film adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel, was released this past Valentine's Day. For those who haven’t had a chance to see it, here’s what to expect: A mysterious young woman named Katie (played by Julianne Hough) appears in Southport, North Carolina. She is determined to avoid forming close ties to members of this small, tight-knit community. Despite her efforts in closing herself off, she comes to befriend her neighbor Jo and Alex (Josh Duhamel), a widowed storeowner with two young children. As Katie begins to fall in love, the past that she has been running away from finally catches up with her and she is faced with a difficult decision – stay and live a life with love, or run in search of a fleeting sense of safety....

A Romantic Night Close to Campus

By Noni Wang
February 11, 2013 - 6:01pm

READ MORE

Best Books To Cuddle Up With This Winter

By Sami Isman
November 27, 2012 - 8:08pm

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr. Seuss): This one is for old time's sake. We all know that sometimes we feel like children, or want to feel like children, and the best time to do this is when you are curled up in a blanket, drinking hot chocolate, next to a fireplace. This has the double effect of making us happy and giddy and begins preparing us for the winter holidays to come. Curl up with this book with your younger family members, and even the older ones. There is no better way to remember what was so great about being young and being with family than this book. READ MORE

Leftovers: As Good As New

By Noni Wang
November 21, 2012 - 4:05pm

Have a bunch of leftover Thanksgiving goodies? Not sure what to do with them? Here are some ideas that we love! 1. Sandwiches   Source: paninihappy.com   You can also try out these delicious breakfast sandwiches:     READ MORE