Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Blog

Shhhh....Best Study Spots on Campus

By Noni Wang
March 17, 2013 - 11:04am

Best Study Spots @ Brown 1. The Fleet Library (aka RISD Library)
Named as one of the most beautiful libraries in the country, this breathtaking library (near Brown) provides both aesthetic pleasure and a quiet atmosphere. Across the hall is a RISD eatery and right outside is a conveniently located Starbucks. Highlights: Architecture, atmosphere, Starbucks
Downside: It’s down the hill...but only a tunnel away. READ MORE

Celebrate with the Irish

By Noni Wang
March 13, 2013 - 3:33pm

With St. Patrick’s Day around the corner, what better way to celebrate than to see the Boston St. Patrick’s Day parade. On Sunday March 17 at 1pm, wear green and line up anywhere from West Broadway to Dorchester Street for kilts and bagpipes, bright-colored floats, ordinary people cheering through the streets, and even the occasional Darth Vader. But the fun doesn’t end there. Walk along the city’s Irish Heritage Trail starting at the Rose Kennedy Garden and ending at John Boyle O’Reilly Memorial. Most importantly, don’t forget to sign up for Saint Paddy’s PubCrawl for endless drinks all day at participating Pubs in Boston.   More Events: March 14th READ MORE

The Importance of Self Defence

By Noni Wang
February 26, 2013 - 10:46am

The Importance of Self-Defense   One in three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime according to Unite To End Violence Against Women, a UN Secretary-General’s Campaign.  Between the ages of 15-44, women are more at risk from rape and domestic violence than from cancer and car accidents.   READ MORE

Halfway

By Tam Jumbala
February 25, 2013 - 6:18pm

READ MORE

Safe Haven: Not Just Another Chick Flick?

By Tam Jumbala
February 25, 2013 - 6:12pm

Safe Haven, the latest film adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel, was released this past Valentine's Day. For those who haven’t had a chance to see it, here’s what to expect: A mysterious young woman named Katie (played by Julianne Hough) appears in Southport, North Carolina. She is determined to avoid forming close ties to members of this small, tight-knit community. Despite her efforts in closing herself off, she comes to befriend her neighbor Jo and Alex (Josh Duhamel), a widowed storeowner with two young children. As Katie begins to fall in love, the past that she has been running away from finally catches up with her and she is faced with a difficult decision – stay and live a life with love, or run in search of a fleeting sense of safety....

A Romantic Night Close to Campus

By Noni Wang
February 11, 2013 - 6:01pm

READ MORE

Best Books To Cuddle Up With This Winter

By Sami Isman
November 27, 2012 - 8:08pm

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr. Seuss): This one is for old time's sake. We all know that sometimes we feel like children, or want to feel like children, and the best time to do this is when you are curled up in a blanket, drinking hot chocolate, next to a fireplace. This has the double effect of making us happy and giddy and begins preparing us for the winter holidays to come. Curl up with this book with your younger family members, and even the older ones. There is no better way to remember what was so great about being young and being with family than this book. READ MORE

Leftovers: As Good As New

By Noni Wang
November 21, 2012 - 4:05pm

Have a bunch of leftover Thanksgiving goodies? Not sure what to do with them? Here are some ideas that we love! 1. Sandwiches   Source: paninihappy.com   You can also try out these delicious breakfast sandwiches:     READ MORE

Oops...I Did It Again - Political Slip Ups

By Noni Wang
November 14, 2012 - 5:44pm

READ MORE

SexPowerGod

By Tam Jumbala
November 13, 2012 - 8:37pm

With midterms, Hurricane Sandy and Halloween behind us, it’s time to think about the events of November, namely SexPowerGod. As a tradition and legend of Brown University, SexPowerGod (SPG) is an annual party thrown by the Brown LGBTQ group in Alumnae Hall, drawing a lively crowd from both Brown and RISD. It gained notoriety through its unique use of multimedia with partiers being provided identifying numbers upon entry – they were once temporary tattoos to be applied on the body – and large projector screens publicly relaying messages by number; typically flattering comments and sexual propositions. READ MORE