Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Blog

The 11 Friends Everyone Has-- As Told By Kristin Wiig

By Julianna Bradley
April 18, 2014 - 12:00am

1. The Closet Diva   This friend will spend an hour on her make-up then pretend she doesn’t know what bronzer is. When she wants to go—we go. When she wants to leave—we leave. Her #1 fear is that her resting bitch face will wash away and reveal just how much of a pre-Madonna she is. But we still love her.   2.  The “I’ll support you through literally everything” friend READ MORE

A Little Bit of Perspective

By Devon Nir
April 8, 2014 - 12:01am

This spring break, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to visit two of my closest friends at Villanova University in Pennsylvania. They showed me around campus, took me to a local eatery for dinner, and introduced me to some of their new friends. It was wonderful to reunite with them after being apart for almost a year, and I’m so glad that we were all able to take time out of our busy schedules to just be together for a couple of hours.   READ MORE

Spring Weekend Tanks In Style

By Isabelle Thenor-Louis
April 1, 2014 - 12:00am

Spring Weekend is fast approaching, which means that lots of tanks are being printed. Also, with Chance The Rapper, Diplo, and Lauryn Hill (!) coming to town, we all want to look our best as we live it up. If you are looking for a few creative ways to wear your tank, I’ve got you covered.   1) Cut it into a crop top and pair it with some high waisted jeans or shorts! Easy, breezy, and beautiful! Crop tops are heavenly, especially at those cramped and sweaty parties.      READ MORE

Confessions of a Sorority Girl

By Julianna Bradley
March 22, 2014 - 12:00am

I didn’t go to Brown to go Greek. To be honest, I went to Brown to avoid going Greek. The pink tank tops, the pools of estrogen, and the endless hours of girl flirting never quite fit my picture of the ideal college experience. The school year began with a Facebook newsfeed plastered with smiling girls making an array of hand gestures, sporting flowery headbands and Greek letters. It was fun to see who was a DG or a Theta or a Tri-delt or a whatever—but to be honest, I didn’t really care. Everyone seemed convinced they loved their big who they met ten seconds before and everyone seemed to think “grand-big” was a real word. Which it wasn’t. READ MORE

Statement Sunglasses

By Isabelle Thenor-Louis
March 9, 2014 - 12:00am

When I stepped outside, I was shocked. The air was warm. The sun was shining. I wasn’t cold. Could this be the springtime I have been waiting for? Hopefully, old man winter has realized that his time has come and gone. I don’t know about you but I’m ready to put on some stunner shades! So, here are some statement sunglasses to celebrate the coming of this wonderful weather.   1. If you want a flashback to the past, channel the 50’s era with cat eye sunglasses. But, to add an extra flair, try some patterned versions of this look. Personally, I love these sunglasses because they are so iconic. When I see a woman wearing this look, I can’t help but visualize the classiest actresses of that time.    READ MORE...

Galentine's Day

By Zoë Henry
February 10, 2014 - 12:00am

In the second season of the NBC hit series Parks and Recreation, Leslie Knope coins the holiday “Galentine’s Day”, a time to celebrate her female friends regardless of their individual relationship statuses. “What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year!” She explains: “Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home and we just come and kick it breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies.” READ MORE

Positive Thinking: The Key to Success?

By katharinezeigler
December 1, 2013 - 12:00am

I just watched this interesting video (link below) about positive thinking.  It feels like my whole life I have been burdened with the sentence “If you think you can, then you can” or some other similar phrase.  So many people have acted as though success is just a matter of being positive, believing in myself.  While I don’t know if abandoning those rules completely is the best answer, I do feel that this video has some interesting things to say about the misleading qualities of this way of thinking.  In the U.S., we are raised to believe that the American dream is available to all.  The big, pleasant house with the white picket fence, monetary success, and a happy family are reachable by everyone who works hard and believes in their abilities.  Due to...

Thanksgiving: What To Be Thankful For

By Samantha Isman
November 25, 2013 - 12:00am

Thanksgiving is fast approaching and nothing says *gobble gobble* like some cold fronts and hot food. With the temperature dropping to chilling degrees, all I really want to do is stay in bed and eat. Plus, the prospect of seeing my family soon makes me all the more lazy and ready to head out for the Thanksgiving break. But there are a few things that I realized as I prepare to leave, and many things that I realized I should be thankful for. The arrival of Thanksgiving also signalizes the fast approaching end of the year, a bittersweet occurrence. Nevertheless, I am thankful for this semester, for everything it has taught me and for helping me to grow. READ MORE

The Problematic Assumptions of "Anti-Rape Wear"

By Samantha Isman
November 11, 2013 - 12:00am

AR Wear (Anti-Rape Wear) has started a campaign to produce shorts that will protect women when they are "going out on a blind date, taking an evening run, “clubbing”, traveling in unfamiliar countries, and any other activity that might make one anxious about the possibility of an assault." Through a series of locks and tear and cut proof material, the company wants to empower women and protect them for when "things go wrong." READ MORE

RISD Artists' Ball

By Samantha Isman
November 5, 2013 - 12:00am

Although there were various different celebrations of Halloween around campus, this year I decided to venture down the hill. The college hill renowned Artists' Ball was my choice of destination for Friday night. I was lucky enough to have friends at RISD who more than gladly bought tickets for me and so we all went as a big group. READ MORE