Awards Shows Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

I love watching awards shows. Unfortunately, I’m the only one who shares a love for these programs in my house. Usually, if I try to watch the Oscars or the Emmys, I am either greeted with an extremely shade-filled eye roll from my mother, a “why are we watching this?” from my brother, and a channel change to the Knicks game from my father. They just don’t understand. Awards shows are glamorous with art weaved in and out of every scene. From the production to the dresses and suits, there’s creativity practically dripping from my television screen. But, my favorite part is discovering actors and actresses that I hadn’t really heard about before. They are the individuals who are just about to pop into the spotlight. But, for now, they are chilling in all their stylish glory. So, here it is my friends! A brief introduction to a few under-affirmed stars you should look to as a source of fashion inspiration.

1. Meta Golding

Meta Golding is too amazing. For starters, she’s Haitian. And I’m Haitian. So, I’m already in love with her for representing the Caribbean on the red carpet. Secondly, she plays Enobaria in the sensational movie Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Thirdly, her fashion is on point, on point, on point! Usually, I’m not down for the whole “wearing red on the red carpet” thing. But, she is pulling this Georges Hobeika dress off too well. One of my favorite color combinations is gold and red, which she is rocking with her lovely handbag and shoes. Side note! That color combination is perfect for the upcoming holiday season so definitely channel Ms. Golding for your next holiday get together!

2. Kelsey Scott

Kelsey Scott is garnering tons of attention for her recent role in the film 12 Years A Slave. So, not only is she an actress in one of the biggest films of the year, she is also one fashion forward woman. Pictured at the premiere of her amazing film, Ms. Scott is killing the game in this black and gold number. My favorite part of this gown is the intricate cut of the top. It’s coy and classy! Also, the gold work on the top of the gown is especially impressive and the middle section clinches her in all the right places! If you need anyone to take this dress off of your hands, I’m here Kelsey!

3. Lorde

So, Lorde and I are pretty much fashion opposites. For every dark piece of clothing she has in her wardrobe, I’m pretty sure I have four other patterned sundresses. For every picture she has rocking dark lipstick, I have been tagged on Facebook with a bright lip stain. But, Lorde is really making moves in my fashion book. First of all, she’s seventeen years old and definitely dressing like she’s been doing this whole minimalist thing since she was in the womb. Second of all, she pulls off a darker sense of style so incredibly well. As someone who loves to accessorize, color, and blend my outfits together, I truly do admire Lorde for her ability to make two simply cut pieces look amazing.

Isabelle is a native New Yorker from Great Neck, Long Island. She is currently a sophomore at Brown University. Throughly in love with medicine and media, she hopes to become a medical correspondent for a major news outlet. When she isn't DJing for 95.5 WBRU or writing for HerCampus, you can find her on the elliptical watching Scandal. Or, in her room watching Scandal. Depends on the day. She also loves the color green, is obsessed with smoothie making, and loves to rep her Haitian heritage.